Coat, Wool, Serge, OD

ken1967

I have to wonder if this guy was in a truck company that was attached to the 82nd and 17th before being attached to SHAEF HQ. Certainly Abn Div's did not have much organic transport. Just a thought. It might even be possibkle to ID the outfit, given the evidence.

This jacket is a left over, early AAF officers service uniform issued to an enlisted man. The contractors tag only states Phil. Quartermasters Depot and is lacking a date and other information that is normally found on later coats. Also there is no ID on this uniform. I replaced the missing collar brass, wings and ribbon bar, all of which lined up perfectly to the holes from the original insignia. I also put a statement in the pocket noting the replaced insignia. Everything that was sewn to the uniform is original. This uniform is very similar to the one shown on page 22 of Silver Wings, Pinks and Greens. Even without an ID and the replaced insignia I’m extremely happy to add this oddity to my collection.

post-117-1173400689.jpg

"AAF officers service uniform"

Actually I believe these are AF Cadet jackets ( at least the pattern) . I have had them with that actual spec tag.

Very nice piece! Must of got there late no OLC on the Air Medal!

In about March 1944 or so, the AAF found it had many thousands more Air Cadets than it could use as pilots so many of them were reassigned to enlisted posts. Maybe that's why this sgt. wore an officers/cadet jacket.

I have heard that the stubby wing patches were actually used by the 8th Bomber Cmd and when it became the 8th AF in Feb 1944 the patch was changed to the long wing version. Is there any truth to this?