Coat, Wool, Serge, OD

ken1967

I have this M1926 EM 4 pocket coat that I need to locate a cap for. Does anyone have any pictures that would show what would be appropriate for a pre-WWII coat? Would the visor caps associated to the WWII GI be appropriate if dated pre-war?

post-79-1167434860.jpg

CNY Militaria

I may be mistaken, but I don't think that the visor caps just pre-war changed all that much during the war. I would just search for a very early war, or pre war dated cap.

The mailman just brought this uniform. It belonged to Donald Walters. The package contained his uniform, garrison hat, patches and a beatfifull photo album.

cbiyc1.jpg

aafmx6.th.jpg

p1000010wr8.th.jpg

p1000012fv2.th.jpg

aaf3qu8.th.jpg

p1000020no4.th.jpg

Post WWI visor caps saw very slight changes from the wartime models (slight changes made to height structure in 1920 and 1925). The WWII model "Pershing Cap" debuted in final form in 1930. As Justin suggested, you're looking for a pre-war dated model of the common WWII visor; it will go perfectly with that very nice M1926.

I would recommend that you look for a visor cap that has an almost black bill and chinstrap. The leather on the WWII examples will be a decidely brown color.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is a recent named uniform that I purchased along with the owners dog tags. I purchased mainly because it is named & can possibly be researched, and because of the patches. I have already sent away to Nara for his info, but I would like some input from the forum members. Is it possible that because his combat patch is the hawaiian Division that he may have been at Pearl Harbor during The attack? He enlisted on FEB 24, 1941.

post-100-1170986007.jpg

I am curious about the double US collar discs. Could this be a HQ soldier? Not sure I have ever seen a VA patch on a uniform. Wonder if he was assigned to a VA hospital. It might be interesting to see when that Hawaiian Div patch was replaced by the newer version. That might tell us something.

craig_pickrall

According to SHOULDER SLEEVE INSIGNIA OF THE US ARMED FORCES 1941 - 1945 by SMITH & PELZ that patch is not authorized. They illustrate the patch in their book since it was made during WW2 but they could find no record of it being authorized.

I thought, maybe it was possible, he was assigned to the 24th Division at Schofield Barracks when Pearl Harbor was attacked and maybe wore this patch to show that? Here is some info I found on the internet:

The 24th Infantry Division was among the first to see combat in World War II and among the last to stop fighting. The Division was on Oahu, with Headquarters at Schofield Barracks, when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, 7 December 1941, and suffered minor casualties.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you guys think of this jacket dated 1942? No name or ASN. There was an oval where the jump wings are. You can see the holes from the stitching. Your opinions please.

post-73-1172448979.jpg

post-73-1172448951.jpg

Other side of jacket w/ the Shaef patch. On the right side you can see where the 17th Airborne had been sewn in and removed.

paty002.jpg