Help to identify a plane

Gregory

Hello,

Would not you like to help me to identify the airctaft below? The image posted is of 1941. This type served in various CPTP and WTS activities, also in the US Army AGP.

Thanks a lot in advance for your possible help.

Best regards

Greg

post-75-1267299502.jpg

Cobrahistorian

Looks like a Stearman PT-13 to me, but the landing gear configuration is different. It isn't an N3N or PT-11 either.... Interesting.

After longer research of the US 1930s biplanes I would say it is Waco RNF but the other opinions are nicely welcomed.

Cobrahistorian

Gregory,

I think you may be on to something with the manufacturer, but I don't think that's an RNF. The gear struts under the fuselage are too far apart to be an RNF. On the RNF, the secondary struts under the fuselage are literally right next to one another, while the ones in this photo appear to have at least a foot between them.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your comment, as always I like your opinions. On one hand you may be right, on the other hand there is foreshortening there and therefore the ID task is not easy.

The pic posted was taken at Elmira in Summer 1941 and that aircraft belonged to that well-known flying club. If not Waco RNF, then there are other Waco-designed and manufactured candidates very similar due to radial engine, cockpits layout and original landing gear design - Wacos QSO, KSO, KNF and JTO. Maybe somebody knows which one of them served then at Elmira?

Best regards

Greg

Cobrahistorian

Gregory,

It definitely isn't an RNF, which was powered by the Warner Scarab engine. The Scarab is a 7-cylinder engine, this one has 9 cylinders. This one's a mystery to me, but I'm confident we'll be able to figure it out.

Jon

Cobrahistorian

Gregory,

Happy to help! That had to have been the hardest aircraft ID I've done in a long time!

Jon