Ever been mistaken for modern day servicemen/ women?

THAT GUY

ABrangerjoe

I've been thanked once or twice while I was in my NJROTC uniform and sporting a high & tight. I don't wear it out to show off or anything like that, it was after school and I had to stop at the grocery store when one lady thanked me.

Joe

• 4 weeks later...

I have been thanked for my service as a reenactor and have been mistaken in my ww2 class A's as an active duty serviceman.

I seem to have come into this thread on the tail end of a wonderful discussion. I have been reenacting since I was a kid. I don't even find it odd that people look at me like I have two heads because I am wearing a military uniform.

I can understand that the public gets confused with WW2 US uniforms as current duty. It really confuses me to have the attendant at the

gas station try to give me the servicemen's discount for my coffee. While I am in German ww2 officers uniform with medals and ribbons

to boot. And civil war uniforms get you the same confusion everyonce in awhile too.

I have worn my reenacting uniforms to the bar before after hours at an event or after a Unit Party such as Christmas or New Years.

I don't wear ribbons on my US uniforms. I didnt' earn them and so I don't wear them. I find it strange the the biggest group of

citizens that do not like the idea of reenacting are veterans. I get more compliments from veterans at ww2 events than I get

criticism but sometimes it is a fine line.

anyway. here was my two cents worth.

Hopefully this doesn't put a burr under anyone's saddle.

Wyonative

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo
I have been thanked for my service as a reenactor and have been mistaken in my ww2 class A's as an active duty serviceman.

I seem to have come into this thread on the tail end of a wonderful discussion. I have been reenacting since I was a kid. I don't even find it odd that people look at me like I have two heads because I am wearing a military uniform.

I can understand that the public gets confused with WW2 US uniforms as current duty. It really confuses me to have the attendant at the

gas station try to give me the servicemen's discount for my coffee. While I am in German ww2 officers uniform with medals and ribbons

to boot. And civil war uniforms get you the same confusion everyonce in awhile too.

I have worn my reenacting uniforms to the bar before after hours at an event or after a Unit Party such as Christmas or New Years.

I don't wear ribbons on my US uniforms. I didnt' earn them and so I don't wear them. I find it strange the the biggest group of

citizens that do not like the idea of reenacting are veterans. I get more compliments from veterans at ww2 events than I get

criticism but sometimes it is a fine line.

anyway. here was my two cents worth.

Hopefully this doesn't put a burr under anyone's saddle.

Wyonative

My opinion on wearing ribbons or standard awards is that you should wear them.

I base that opinion on your statement that "..I didn't earn them and so I don't wear them.". You didn't earn the uniform either. Just wearing the uniform of a soldier must be earned. Reenactors are typically not the actual soldiers that wore the uniform of the period they portray so most of us, even those that are prior service didn't actually earn the uniform. I like WWII but was not a WWII soldier however I wear the uniform anyway because it's the impression I chose. I could limit myself to the basic plain uniform. There is little difference between wearing a plain uniform or one with basic theatre ribbons, SSI, and in some cases CIB or Jump Wing (Airborne). Based upon the logic of not wearing what you earned, people should not even wear the uniform. Therefore taking the extra step of wearing the basic uniform accoutraments of the impression is the same.

Many people like to do US Airborne impression. Based upon the logic of "not earning it", nobody should be putting wings on their uniform unless they earned it. The bloused jump boots, the garrison cap patch etc. Put the basics of the impression on and you will be correct. Veterans, even the skeptical ones are more interested in *how* you wear your uniform than they are what you're wearing. They already know that most reenactors are not actual soldiers so they often check to see if you are doing the uniform proud.

I've watched airborne reenactors quite a lot. Many don't press their uniforms. Their brass is not shined (understandable if it's original). But improper hair cuts, unshaven, wrinkly, and most of all, boots not shined properly. No paratrooper puts on his class a's unless his boots are SHINY! If he does and gets caught, he's in trouble...period. It's a point of pride thing. Now some could make the arguement that they are "in the process of coming back from leave in London" or that they're just representing the Filthy 13 or some other lame excuse. I read Jake McNeice's book and looked at the pictures. He's in class A's with shiny boots, shaved and pressed uniform. Despite his claims that he and his crew were filthy, he obviously got cleaned up when he needed to and too pride in his uniform.

Rock

Yes I have been mistaken for a modern soldier,in my WW2 uniforms ( as they are mostly originals I wouldn't say they are 'costumes') and in many other uniforms,I've even been asked if I just got back,or out while standing around in jeans and a tee-shirt.That may be because of my bearing and the way I speak and my manners.Heck I have even upon occasion, ( due to my work uniform which is dark blue nomex with shiny reflective stripes and a parka which superficially resembles a turn-out coat) been mistaken for a fireman.

My favorite time of being mistaken for a modern soldier was on a Veterans Day after 9/11,after being in the parade downtown with the local V.A. office service people who I've known for years,I was just in time to pick my daughter up from school. As I stood out front waiting for her,three second grade boys walked up to me saluted me and in grave little voices said "Thank you for protecting us and our country".With tears in my eyes I came to my best drill team attention and snapped them my best salute and quietly told them" You are very welcome young sirs",It struck me then that my tears were for all those who had never and would never recieve this and that I had just found out that though I never knew it I had been waiting for this for twenty years,not as an accolade nor for the honor,but for the validation of the why that had lead me to put on that pickle green uniform so long before.........I Love my country,I Love honoring they who went before and I Love being an American!!!!

There are a large number of reasons to join the military,as there also are large numbers of reasons to reenact,so it is with going out in our reenacting uniforms.Do not make the mistake of assuming the simplest and meanest of these motivations is always the one true reason,you would do others and yourself no justice in that.I know of damned few who go out in them solely to jones for drinks,women and accolades they don't deserve.In closing I ask that you remember that those with the largest chips on their shoulders often find them to be buffalo chips,so ease up and go softly.

Sparrow