The PAcific Miniseries repro field gear?

THAT GUY

Anybody know when this stuff will be available on any market? I'm looking for repros they made of early war stuff.... like haversacks, suspenders.... Thanks.

Sam

Anybody know when this stuff will be available on any market? I'm looking for repros they made of early war stuff.... like haversacks, suspenders.... Thanks.

Sam

I've been curious myself, hoping to get a piece or two of screen used items.

The uniforms have been for sale since last summer, but hopefully they burned all the field gear :)

That would suck..... :crying:

Bob, where can you buy this stuff? Do you have a URL?

I second that question, where can you buy this stuff?

I am looking for the stuff that was actually used and abused during filming, not the left over production stocks that sat in a warehouse and were never used in the film that will fetch exorbitant prices. Items that have been used, abused, and have some character to add to my inventory of reenacting stuff. I always miss out on this type of stuff. I know people who have bought stuff that was used in other big name productions (like TRL, SPR, BOB, Windtalkers) and they got the stuff for dirt cheap.

I second that question, where can you buy this stuff?

I am looking for the stuff that was actually used and abused during filming, not the left over production stocks that sat in a warehouse and were never used in the film that will fetch exorbitant prices. Items that have been used, abused, and have some character to add to my inventory of reenacting stuff. I always miss out on this type of stuff. I know people who have bought stuff that was used in other big name productions (like TRL, SPR, BOB, Windtalkers) and they got the stuff for dirt cheap.

Exactly why I want it.

1. Cheap

2. What im gonna use it for... I don't want to look like I just walked out of the USMC supply depot.

Never, I hope. The marketplace is already awash with repro gear. It just dilutes things for true collectors..in my humble opinion, of course.

Sabrejet ;)

vintageproductions

We were ina costume house a few weeks ago that had 100's of sets of the Marine utilites, camo and hbt that was used on the show.

The vast majority of the stuff was made S & M Wholesale. If you do a Yahoo search I am sure their info will pop up.

I found their website: http://www.smwholesale.com Do you know what of the stuff they have for sale was screen used? I just want my own couple pieces of "history" with a COA that won't set me back too much, just something I can know was used in the filming. Missed that chance when the BoB stuff was coming out cheap, don't want to miss it again. Stunt helmets, field gear, etc..

To clarify what I said: Thanks for telling me who supplied them, but do you know where I can buy actual screen used dirtied up props, not the stuff coming right off the assembly line? Thanks.

craig_pickrall

You know with a little looking you can probably find some dirtied up stuff that was used on a Pacific island 65 years ago and probably about the same price too.

You know with a little looking you can probably find some dirtied up stuff that was used on a Pacific island 65 years ago and probably about the same price too.

I've found some of that :lol: I am more curious in getting some film militaria as opposed to actual militaria in this instance, just something screen used. There's always times for real militaria

I found their website: http://www.smwholesale.com Do you know what of the stuff they have for sale was screen used? I just want my own couple pieces of "history" with a COA that won't set me back too much, just something I can know was used in the filming. Missed that chance when the BoB stuff was coming out cheap, don't want to miss it again. Stunt helmets, field gear, etc..

I bought some HBT trousers from them at Fort MacArthur Days last year and, as with most reproduction stuff, there's really not a lot, if anything, in the way of savings compared to buying the real thing. Repro uniforms makes sense for re-enacting because original period uniforms can be pretty fragile, but 1943 field gear is generally still tough as nails.

I bought some HBT trousers from them at Fort MacArthur Days last year and, as with most reproduction stuff, there's really not a lot, if anything, in the way of savings compared to buying the real thing. Repro uniforms makes sense for re-enacting because original period uniforms can be pretty fragile, but 1943 field gear is generally still tough as nails.

So original early war flat buckle USMC suspenders will probably hold up?

So original early war flat buckle USMC suspenders will probably hold up?

I would say so: unless they were damaged by some substance over the years (which results in visible damage). I have had more pieces of vintage field gear than I can count - pieces dating back to pre-WWI - and I continue to be amazed at how well it has help up: I have a 1909 pistol belt that seems every but as durable as something made in the 1960's. And again, it also amazes to see the repro stuff routinely selling for more than the real thing.

I would say so: unless they were damaged by some substance over the years (which results in visible damage). I have had more pieces of vintage field gear than I can count - pieces dating back to pre-WWI - and I continue to be amazed at how well it has help up: I have a 1909 pistol belt that seems every but as durable as something made in the 1960's. And again, it also amazes to see the repro stuff routinely selling for more than the real thing.

Most of the field gear I have aquired in the years before 2009 was in crap condition. It looked as if everything was laying in a field when I found it. But when I hold on to it and store it.... everything just stays in crap condition and never gets worse.

Thats about the best thing I have heard on this thread so far.... you have about two weeks to do so. I saw a special screening of episode 1 last night at Camp Pendleton. It was spectacular. Dale Dye gave some great insight introducing the film. I saw one other forum member there. Hold onto your hats boys, anything with a 1st MARDIV patch or USMC stencil is going to skyrocket.

Maj M

Thats about the best thing I have heard on this thread so far.... you have about two weeks to do so. I saw a special screening of episode 1 last night at Camp Pendleton. It was spectacular. Dale Dye gave some great insight introducing the film. I saw one other forum member there. Hold onto your hats boys, anything with a 1st MARDIV patch or USMC stencil is going to skyrocket.

Maj M

Crap.

Well the majority of the stuff I use for reenacting is original, and original stuff is much better made and more durable than the repro stuff. Yes, I have scored my fair share of cheaply priced original WWII militiaria for my collection and reenacting needs over the years. With that said, I am only interested in the stuff from HBO's "The Pacific" if it is reasonably priced (i.e. DIRT CHEAP). I am not looking to buy this stuff just because of the "cool" factor, wow its been in a movie type of deal. Believe me I have had my fair share of working on film shoots. I am just looking for some cheap, well made repro stuff that is already beat up that I do not mind further abusing. As we all know, original stuff is getting harder to find and the prices are going up on a daily basis. Why abuse an original when you can get a high quality reproduction to use and abuse instead?

Like I have mentioned before, I know folks who have bought stuff from previous major motion pictures and they were able to score a lot of goods for next to nothing. They bought them directly from the costume/props houses. One other thing people are forgetting, not all of the props used on these films are reproduction many are original, so there is the opportunity to pick up some original items as well for cheap prices. I have heard stories from folks who have worked on some film projects and at the end of filming the majority of costumes and props are destroyed, or the crew can take what they want for free. The reason being that it is simply cheaper to destroy or give away all this stuff than to pay money to ship it back. This stuff is cheap too, when they want to get rid of it they just get rid of it to clear space for the costumes and props for the next project. The price tag for this type of stuff only goes up when it is resold by outside parties, such as ebay entrepreneurs or vendors who buy this stuff in bulk, then try to profit off of it by selling it for big bucks because it is a film prop from a major film, etc., etc...

I know one of the extras for the LA shooting and he said they watched everyone like a hawk as soon as the scene was over they came over and picked up every piece of your uniform and he couldn't sneak anything out. He also said a few Hollywood prop houses bought everything out and your just going to have to wait to buy it in shop or ebay stores. I picked a few Great Raid and We Were Soldiers pieces up a few years ago

I know one of the extras for the LA shooting and he said they watched everyone like a hawk as soon as the scene was over they came over and picked up every piece of your uniform and he couldn't sneak anything out. He also said a few Hollywood prop houses bought everything out and your just going to have to wait to buy it in shop or ebay stores. I picked a few Great Raid and We Were Soldiers pieces up a few years ago

So the prop houses will be controlling prices?

If they are smart, they will hold onto it until the series premiers, and then run a series of auctions on eBay.

Just look at the zillions of dollars that were made when they sold the Battle Star Galactica props!