.38 Caliber Revolver Swivel-Holster?

gunner

found this holster, i know its probably military and definitely U.S. and Vietnam period from the markings on the back. other than that im clueless. i did some searching on the web and found some info but i don't know if what ive found has any validity. lets see what you guys think.

Info found off http://www.ljmilitaria.com/geargeneral/wea...s__and_etc_.htm

"7232 - .38 Caliber Revolver Swivel-Holster - Carried by: APs, SPs, Aircrews, USAF INTEL personnel in the field (i.e., CMIC Teams), & etc. - 7232B - dated 1967, contract dated 1968 "F,09603-68-D-0232", (contract date not matching the manufacture date is common for RVN era items) data stamps reads: GUU-1/P, stock number 1095-819-8591, made by J. M. Buchheimer CO, U.S."

post-3483-1267266307.jpg

El Bibliotecario

I've seen Vietnam era photos of USAF troopies wearing such holsters, I believe with the AF issue S&W Model 15. although I imagine it would accomodate any 4" barrel K frame S&W.

I've seen Vietnam era photos of USAF troopies wearing such holsters, I believe with the AF issue S&W Model 15. although I imagine it would accomodate any 4" barrel K frame S&W.

hmm what is a troopie? and does anyone else know about these/ have reference pictures/ etc?

AH HA! im getting somewhere!

"This is an original GI issue black leather shoulder holster for a revolver. The hanger is stamped “US” and the holster is marked “Holster Assembly, GUU-1/P, 1093-819-8591, J.M. Bucheimer Co. 1966, AP 09 (603) 62890, U.S.” The rig comes with an extra strap. The leather is a bit stiff from never being used. Otherwise, this is a nice looking setup that would look cool with a pilot, MP, Advisor, tunnel rat, dog handler, etc impression."

found at rallypointmilitaria.com

im guessing that this is an option but the holster could obviously be attached to a pistol belt, right? and would that be a shoulder holster for pilots/ aircrew or MP's because i am seeing it as both?

post-3483-1267321857.jpg

El Bibliotecario

I love this board because the questions make me dig out references to validate my recollections.

I hate this board because digging out references is WORK.

Edward S Meadows' US MILITARY HOLSTERS AND PISTOL CARTRIDGE BOXES shows your holster on page 378, with an identical FSN. It states it is for the ".38 caliber S&W K38 revolver with four inch barrel." Smith and Wesson affectionados may quibble with that nomenclature; suffice it to say Meadows is talking about the 4" bbl K frame S&W .38SP with adjustible sights. Until recently this weapon was sold commercially as the Model 15. Meadows says the holster was "primarily used by security and law enforcement units but was also carried by others whos duty required them to be under arms (pistol)" Meadows lists the date of mgg as the '60s.'

I would have sworn I could find photos of USAF troopies wearing this holster, but when I turned to the pics I recalled in my references the holsters varied in detail. So much for memory. Finally in Leroy Thompson's UNIFORMS OF THE ELITE FORCES I found on plate 2 a picture of a Air force combat security policeman wearing what appears to be your holster.The text decribes him as being armed with a "S&W Model 15." I believe Thompson was a member of the AF security police, so one would hope he got this detail right.

What is a troopie? A colloquism for Joe Suffey, Joe Tentpeg, etc. i.e, a GI.

Aother reason I hate this board is because I have yet to figure out how to delete redundant posts.

i am extremely thankful for your WORK :D i like when things are posted that are "known" about but its difficult work brining in references etc. its like a puzzle. its the spirit of collecting and posting to this forum. thank you for using your resources and helping me in the identification process of this find!

El Bibliotecario
i hink this is the gun that would belong in the holster.. .38 caliber S&W K38 revolver with four inch barrel..

You are correct. Technically the K38 is the Model 14, that's a Model 15. But checking Supica and Nahas's STANDARD CATALOG OF SMITH AND WESSON, I see that a limited number of Model 14s, that is, K38s, were indeed made with 4" barrels. Before the assignment of model numbers in the '50s the Model 15 was marketed as the Combat Masterpiece. None of this has any importance whatsoever other than to S&W collectors.

FWIW, the Model 15 will do anything within the capability of the .38 Special cartridge. It is a fine weapon.

Charlie Flick

Gunner:

The revolver for that holster is indeed the S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece, a four inch barreled, target sighted .38 Special revolver. They were purchased in the 1960s and were used to arm Air Police/Security Police, PJs, pilots and other aircrew.

The pic below was taken by my friend JayCee of his USAF issued M15. Note that the USAF guns are so marked on the frame below the cylinder window. In civilian hands the USAF M15 guns are extremely scarce.

USAFm15-2k559288.jpg

Regards,

Charlie Flick

does anyone else have one of these holsters, or period photos of them?

I have one housing a model 10 2.5 inch with Hogue grips. I will put up a few pics of the rig its in when the hd camera returns this afternoon.

I have one housing a model 10 2.5 inch with Hogue grips. I will put up a few pics of the rig its in when the hd camera returns this afternoon.

You never realize what a pain in the butt it is to take good pictures until you have to do it yourself. As promised here they are. I've tried to resize them from there original two and a half trillion bytes so as not to blow up the board. In no particular order.

22trial_056-med.jpg

22trial_058-med.jpg

22trial_053-med.jpg

22trial_052-med.jpg