M6 SCABBARD

Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

In the beginning, these knives were packed at the factory with a leather scabbard called the M6. Typically well marked with maker name and 1943 date

• 3 weeks later...

Bought this original M6 scabbard at a little old surplus store in LaGrange, GA. (near Ft. Benning) in 1994. I paid the large sum of $9.99 plus sales tax! w00t.gif

Bfryar44

MVC-016S.jpg

BAR022.jpg

Greg Robinson
Bought this original M6 scabbard at a little old surplus store in LaGrange, GA. (near Ft. Benning) in 1994. I paid the large sum of $9.99 plus sales tax! w00t.gif

Bfryar44

MVC-016S.jpg

BAR022.jpg

That was a great deal.....even 13 years ago they were worth more than that.

Was that the surplus store that's still in business right off the square of LaGrange on the road that goes past all the car dealerships and restaurants and runs in to the interstate? I know a guy who's a lawyer in LaGrange and he has his office on the town square. When I go there I always check out that surplus store but it's not much these days.

Greg

That was a great deal.....even 13 years ago they were worth more than that.

Was that the surplus store that's still in business right off the square of LaGrange on the road that goes past all the car dealerships and restaurants and runs in to the interstate? I know a guy who's a lawyer in LaGrange and he has his office on the town square. When I go there I always check out that surplus store but it's not much these days.

Greg

Yep, Greg that's the one. They've been in business for 50+ years and even when I went in there in 94 there really wasn't much WW2 stuff. I guess I just got lucky that day!

Regards,

Bfryar44

Right place RIGHT time BF44....

Great score buddy.... thumbsup.gif

Some controversy over the rarest maker of these......some say Viner Bros...some say Mooseco

What is the official verdict on this one guys/girls ?

Regards

Lloyd

Greg Robinson
Yep, Greg that's the one. They've been in business for 50+ years and even when I went in there in 94 there really wasn't much WW2 stuff. I guess I just got lucky that day!

Regards,

Bfryar44

It's all comes down to timing and a lot of luck. I stopped at a "surplus" store on US Hwy 27 in Wartburg Tennessee a few years ago. A local couple owned the place and the man had some military surplus items but most of the store was civilian clothing, housewares, etc. But piled on a table were dozens of M1 Carbine slings, all WW2 with some the rare khaki type priced at $2.95 each. And he had a pile of WW2 M1 helmet shells. mostly late war swivel bail OD #7 straps but one was an early war OD #3 chinstrap version. Priced at $5 each. All pristine mint condition still wrapped in paper and had 1980's dated govt inventory tags attached. There were other good deals but those were the STEALS. :D

They were such nice people I had a pang of guilt buying the stuff. The man later had a heart attack and they closed the store. Darn shame....it's was a great place to stop on the way to our place in the Tennessee mountains.

Then there's a local "junk" shop where I've found such deals as an early WW2 INLAND paratrooper helmet liner for $12. Sold it on ebay for MUCH more. :D

Greg

• 2 years later...

I have 5 out of the 6 makers for the M6.My opinion is SBL co is the rarest.Its the only one I dont have.I see Viner,L&C and Moose co for sale fairley often.Milsco I see all the time.

• 1 year later...

Some controversy over the rarest maker of these......some say Viner Bros...some say Mooseco

What is the official verdict on this one guys/girls ?

Regards

Lloyd

Here are the stats. You decide.

Milwaukee Saddlery (Milsco) 140,494 @ $0.5775 each.

Lyon & Coulson (L&C) 40,000 @ $0.47 each.

Service Boots & Leggins (S.B.L.) 35,200 @ $0.595 each.

L.J. Barwood (Barwood) 29,000 @ $0.6483 each.

Viner Bros. (Viner Bros.) 28,000 @ $0.60 each.

Moose River Shoe Co. (Moose Co.) 28,000 @ $0.74 each.

This is a good question! I'm starting to believe it's just the luck of the draw. I have 3xMILSCO, 2xViner, 1xBarwood, and 1xL&C. To me SBL and Moose are the illusive ones. It's actually amazing at how many of the originals are in circulation. Much more than say 20-25 years ago. The only thing that I attribute that to, is,(AND SADLY), the amount of WW2 veterans passing. SKIP