M42 Jump Smock

Guest Alaskan Scout

Guest Alaskan Scout

Ive been reading about repro smock. Its seems some are much thicker then others..Anyone know who makes the thickest one that is the most accurate?

Greetings,

I have the At The Front Reinforced 42 Jump uniform. I find it a rather good repop of the 42s, right down to the single stitched crotch seam of the trousers (which will blow out easily if you're not careful or haven't reinforced it before use). I'm enclosing pictured of the the smock, along with the main details such as the talon zippers, the knife pocket (which can be accessed from either side of the pocket[two zippers]), and the reinforced lower pockets. I've used this uniform for over a year and find that with the exception of the crotch seam (which blew out the first time I took a knee in battle) is a really durable uniform. The elbows and knees are patched over with the dark OD canvas reinforcements. I can personally recommend this one from ATF. I hope there are others out there who can speak for smocks from other makers so you can make a comparison.

Wayne

post-3743-1267213515.jpg

post-3743-1267213557.jpg

Guest Alaskan Scout

Wayne...

I thank you for your detailed reply and for taking the time to post this very useful info...The pics are great...Not knowing much about these can you give me a comparison in thickness of the fabric to say an M51 field jacket? I have one of the M51s so this way i can get an idea of what the gauge is of the jumpsmock..I ask because this is going to be used in Alaska and its really important i have some sort of outter shell that can really keep out the wind..

Again..thanks for the reply!

Christoph

Guest Alaskan Scout

Also ill be wearing quite a few layers under one..Im 5'6, in shape and wear about a 40-42R..what size would you recommend from ATF, so i dont get one too large and end up w/ the breat pockest hanging on my knees...

The M1942 Jacket is much lighter in construction than the 43 or 51 field jackets. The 42 is unlined, and maybe slightly thinner than a pair of denim jeans, but with a tighter weave to the fabric. I'm 6'1, and 230, and I wear a 42... Okay to be honest, I'm at the upper limit of a 42... LOL. Hey, at 49, its not easy to lose weight! The M1942 Jump uniform was meant to be worn over the 37 wools, even in the summer time, so its not that heavy, but a 42 would be cut to be worn over all of that. If you can comfortably wear a 42, get the ATF size range that includes the 42 and you'll be fine. The closure is a talon zipper, and the collar and wrist closures are snaps. The pocket closures are snaps, except for the knife pocket at the top of the main zipper run (as seen in the pictures). The knive pocket can be accessed from either side by zipper closures. On my jacket, one closes zipping up, the other closes by zipping down.

As you can see in the first picture here, with both zippers open, the knife can pass completely through the "pocket". The second picture shows the knife as it would be stowed in the closed (zipped up) pocket.

I hope this helps you make your decision.

Wayne

post-3743-1267251533.jpg

post-3743-1267251556.jpg

This should go to show you the fit... I'm wearing a 42 jacket, and a 36x34 trouser. The sleeves run a little long, but thats not too bad... over all, in the summer with just a t shirt under it, these are fairly compareable to the modern winter weight BDUs, maybe just a little heavier material.

Wayne

post-3743-1267252486.jpg

Guest Alaskan Scout

Wayne...

Fantastic reply. 100 views, only you answered and DAMN you hit the target... Thanks for all the info and, yes you answered everything i needed to know..Even about the arms length that i was wondering about.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You're a star my friend and i hope i can return the favor of your reply sometime and help you out w/ such an improtant answer... :twothumbup:

Christoph

Alaskan Scout

Wayne...

Fantastic reply. 100 views, only you answered and DAMN you hit the target... Thanks for all the info and, yes you answered everything i needed to know..Even about the arms length that i was wondering about.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You're a star my friend and i hope i can return the favor of your reply sometime and help you out w/ such an improtant answer... :twothumbup:

Christoph

Alaskan Scout

Shucks... it weren't nuthin'.... *grins* I spent 28 years in the Army teaching... the part I liked the most about teaching was learning... I've always been a bit of a military history buff... and as a model builder, I had to learn uniforms and such too. What I haven't learned in books, I've learned in forums like this... Collectors, reenactors, and veterans are the best sources.

All my uniforms are ATF... except my original 43 jacket... so if you need anything else, dont hesitate to ask...

Wayne

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo
Ive been reading about repro smock. Its seems some are much thicker then others..Anyone know who makes the thickest one that is the most accurate?

I was speaking with a WWII veteran. He felt my uniform and told me that the M42's were not quite as thick as the ATF USA made ones. He felt the foreign made ATF 42's and said that they were more realistic.

Rock

I was speaking with a WWII veteran. He felt my uniform and told me that the M42's were not quite as thick as the ATF USA made ones. He felt the foreign made ATF 42's and said that they were more realistic.

Rock

so far i never saw or felt a unused original M42 - from the used original one i had the single occasion to touch is to say that maybe the ATF used fabirc is a bit thicker

but the original is a almost 70 years old specimen so i do not know wether wear and tear used of some of the original thickness of the garment

from my point of view also the ATF US made M42's are the best you can get on the market - highly recommended! i even managed to get one of the extra long ones which where produced by ATF a couple of years ago

This should go to show you the fit... I'm wearing a 42 jacket, and a 36x34 trouser. The sleeves run a little long, but thats not too bad... over all, in the summer with just a t shirt under it, these are fairly compareable to the modern winter weight BDUs, maybe just a little heavier material.

Wayne

Looking good!

Seems most of your other gear like cartridge belt is also ATF manufactured?

So far still a bit pricey but for me the best stuff you currently get on the market for repops ...

In that pic, the -42 Jumps, the boots, the M1923 Cartridge belt, M1936 suspenders, both chinstraps on the helmet liner, the M1938 riding gloves tucked in the belt, and the para first aid kit on the helmet are ATF. The M1924 First aid pouch on the belt, the canteen and cover are original. Oh yeah... and the Garand... *grins*

I have a lot of ATF uinforms, and I find them well made, and as accurate as I have been able to confirm. Last year, I took part in a display my reenacting unit put on for the 82nd Abn Association Convention in Indianapolis. Having a WWII vet come up and ask me where I got a mint set of 42 Jumps was a surprise. When I told him they were reproduction, he laughed and told me I didn't have to fib to him, he wouldnt steal them, he just wanted to know where he could get a mint set too. It was that way that whole day. Most of the Vets were floored when they found that our uniforms were repops. THEY said they were just like the originals they remembered in WWII. Read through the ATF site. Colin is a bit testy with the stitch nazis in reenacting these days... but he makes good stuff, using the original item to pattern his repops from, so they are as close to the real thing as you can get. His site is a blast to read through... just for grins.

As far as uniforms, I currently own the ATF 37 wools, HBT's, the 42 Jumps, 43 para trousers (to go with my original 43 jacket), a 41 jacket, Roughout service SHOES, roughout Service BOOTS (double buckles), and the Paratrooper boots. I am completely satisfied with ATF's products, and recommend them highly!

Wayne

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo
In that pic, the -42 Jumps, the boots, the M1923 Cartridge belt, M1936 suspenders, both chinstraps on the helmet liner, the M1938 riding gloves tucked in the belt, and the para first aid kit on the helmet are ATF. The M1924 First aid pouch on the belt, the canteen and cover are original. Oh yeah... and the Garand... *grins*

I have a lot of ATF uinforms, and I find them well made, and as accurate as I have been able to confirm. Last year, I took part in a display my reenacting unit put on for the 82nd Abn Association Convention in Indianapolis. Having a WWII vet come up and ask me where I got a mint set of 42 Jumps was a surprise. When I told him they were reproduction, he laughed and told me I didn't have to fib to him, he wouldnt steal them, he just wanted to know where he could get a mint set too. It was that way that whole day. Most of the Vets were floored when they found that our uniforms were repops. THEY said they were just like the originals they remembered in WWII. Read through the ATF site. Colin is a bit testy with the stitch nazis in reenacting these days... but he makes good stuff, using the original item to pattern his repops from, so they are as close to the real thing as you can get. His site is a blast to read through... just for grins.

As far as uniforms, I currently own the ATF 37 wools, HBT's, the 42 Jumps, 43 para trousers (to go with my original 43 jacket), a 41 jacket, Roughout service SHOES, roughout Service BOOTS (double buckles), and the Paratrooper boots. I am completely satisfied with ATF's products, and recommend them highly!

Wayne

Ditto,

ATF makes great stuff. Compared to originals they do well.

Rock

Wayne

I own several Uniforms from At the Front including 1st Pattern HBT's, 2nd Darker Pattern HBT's, M1937 Wools, Khakis and the M41 and I am very pleased. I have originals that look identical. There field gear is top notch! All of it. Vets come up to me saying they remember all these things about the gear, and I learn something new every time..., which in fact is very rewarding..

Michael

I own several Uniforms from At the Front including 1st Pattern HBT's, 2nd Darker Pattern HBT's, M1937 Wools, Khakis and the M41 and I am very pleased. I have originals that look identical. There field gear is top notch! All of it. Vets come up to me saying they remember all these things about the gear, and I learn something new every time..., which in fact is very rewarding..

Michael

Its really a compliment to Colin at ATF when WWII Vets ask "Where did you find a mint (insert name of the ATF Repop in question here)?" When you tell them its reproduction they just can't believe anyone this day and age could or even WOULD take the time to make such a fine reproduction.

Wayne