Restoring a M1 Helmet Liner

ClaptonIsGod

I have had this Westinghouse liner sitting around at least a month now. I got it with the intent of restoring the main portion of webbing, and still intend to do that, but I haven't gotten around to it yet and I am in need of advice. First, the actual removal of the webbing. Can I get the A-Washers and the outside rivets off without damaging either? They both are in great shape and I'd like to use the sets in restoring the liners. I heard somewhere you need to drill a hole through the washers, but can the rivets come off without damage and then be reused to install the new webbing? Also, in putting the webbing itself in, do I really need to buy the $30 tool to set the rivets? Thanks.

The Liner Exterior

post-4251-1267150445.jpg

Nape strap section. I wonder how it stayed in such good shape compared to the rest of the liner. Anyone know what that "V" sideways means?

post-4251-1267150544.jpg

Heres what I would do......get a piece of khaki webbing from JMurray or werever you can....then sew in pieces to replace whats missing....using some khaki thread of course ......then pop in a sweatband and it will look sweet.....otherwise you will have to drill out the original rivets and have to replace them with repro rivets and Im sure you can set them with a makeshift tool or have to purchase the actual tool.....if its a project you are seeking then totally strip it and redo the whole thing....but if you just want to make it usable, maybe the repairing would be a good route...or you can just sell it on ebay and buy another more complete webbed liner....that one isnt a total loss, Im sure somebody would want it, Ive seen alot worse sell on ebay......personally I would leave it original and find a beatup shell that would make a good match!.....mike

Heres what I would do......get a piece of khaki webbing from JMurray or werever you can....then sew in pieces to replace whats missing....using some khaki thread of course ......then pop in a sweatband and it will look sweet.....otherwise you will have to drill out the original rivets and have to replace them with repro rivets and Im sure you can set them with a makeshift tool or have to purchase the actual tool.....if its a project you are seeking then totally strip it and redo the whole thing....but if you just want to make it usable, maybe the repairing would be a good route...or you can just sell it on ebay and buy another more complete webbed liner....that one isnt a total loss, Im sure somebody would want it, Ive seen alot worse sell on ebay......personally I would leave it original and find a beatup shell that would make a good match!.....mike

I suppose, I guess I just bought this in case I ever decide to reenact and I'll completely replace it then if I choose to do so.

You will need new rivets because you have to drill them out and you'll want to get a few extra A-washers because you will always over-drill at least one... trust me :pinch: . You will need the tool for the rivets because there is no way to do the rivets correctly without it... again, trust me. :dry: Get a bunch of patience together because the first time you do one of these... you'll need it... trust me. :disgust: Or, you can find a rebuilder who'll do it for you and guarantee his work... trust me, this is the best choice :D

I've rebuilt close to 2 dozen helmet liners over the past year for my group and friends. I took the time to document the process on the unit's website @ http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Projects/...iner/index.html

If you can find someone to reweb the liner for you - that already has the tools and know how (at a reasonable price) - go ahead and just have them do it.

To get a liner kit ($25), Rivet setting tool ($25-30), Paint ($5-10), incidentals ($10+) - you can easily be 75$ invested just to do a single helmet liner.

I highly reccomend purchasing a ready made liner kit from one of the reputable dealers such as At the Front, or J Murray 1944 Inc - rather than attempting to get webbing and putting the whole thing together from scratch.

You have to remove the roll crimp from the rivet to free the A washer and webbing from the liner. This "destroys" the rivet and it cannot be used again. I see no feasible way of "unrolling" the roll crimp so that the rivet could be reused.

DO NOT cheap out on the rivet setting die and get something that "might work". All you'll do is create more work for yourself - and waste a bunch of money on the long run. I've illustrated this point in my article.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Chris-

I've rebuilt close to 2 dozen helmet liners over the past year for my group and friends. I took the time to document the process on the unit's website @ http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Projects/...iner/index.html

If you can find someone to reweb the liner for you - that already has the tools and know how (at a reasonable price) - go ahead and just have them do it.

To get a liner kit ($25), Rivet setting tool ($25-30), Paint ($5-10), incidentals ($10+) - you can easily be 75$ invested just to do a single helmet liner.

I highly reccomend purchasing a ready made liner kit from one of the reputable dealers such as At the Front, or J Murray 1944 Inc - rather than attempting to get webbing and putting the whole thing together from scratch.

You have to remove the roll crimp from the rivet to free the A washer and webbing from the liner. This "destroys" the rivet and it cannot be used again. I see no feasible way of "unrolling" the roll crimp so that the rivet could be reused.

DO NOT cheap out on the rivet setting die and get something that "might work". All you'll do is create more work for yourself - and waste a bunch of money on the long run. I've illustrated this point in my article.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Chris-

Thanks for the walkthrough, I will definitely use that if and when I reweb this beast.

I recently attempted to restore a liner I found for $5. So I bought the correct tool, premade webbing kit and got to work.

Something for you to think about:

It will take some time. I rushed the removal of the rivets and one hole was enlarged so that a rivet just fell through when I tired to restore it. Also, instead of finding the right place to install rivets... I did it on the floor, which made it a whole heck of alot harder...

Sam