blacksheep patch VMF 214

Navy Dan

I have been offered this patch from the son of one of the pilots I was wondering what would be a fair price for it and everyone's opinions. I have been told this is the one he wore on his jacket.

Thanks Dan

post-2552-1267139030.jpg

post-2552-1267139042.jpg

I have been offered this patch from the son of one of the pilots I was wondering what would be a fair price for it and everyone's opinions. I have been told this is the one he wore on his jacket.

Thanks Dan

Dan, I'd make sure you get his name. Ask what era did he actually wear the patch and see if you can get a photo of him wearing it. That info will increase the value of the patch should you ever decide to sell it. I paid $250 for mine but that was about 5 years ago and it's mint. What price is he offering it to you for? Let me know if he can prove the era of the patch. Mine is the same. If his asking price is too high, let me know, I may be interested if it's not too outlandish.

VMA-214 is still using that same design so definitely see what era he was with that squadron. The last original WW2 VMF214 patch I saw for sale, the guy wanted around $800 for it. Don't know if that was excessively high but Marine WW2 squadron patches are very expensive these days.

An unquetionable IDed WW2 wool based VMF 214 is a patch I would pay 2000.00 just to own.It would sell for at least 2500.00.If the guy checks out in the 214 roster its as rare as hens teeth.Scotty

Thanks everyone,

He is id'd in the roster and documented in the book about the blacksheep. So there is provenance with the patch. He is offering the book a photo and a letter from him stating where the patch comes from.

Thanks Dan

Thanks everyone,

He is id'd in the roster and documented in the book about the blacksheep. So there is provenance with the patch. He is offering the book a photo and a letter from him stating where the patch comes from.

Thanks Dan

First, I'd make sure the son really wants to part with it...he may one day regret it. Cash comes and goes, but an important artifact of a Dad's history is something a Son can usually never get back once it's gone. (Trust me, I know) If he's certain to sell, then I'd try to pick it up for $1000 and then sell it to Scotty for $2000 just so he could own it. ;)

An unquetionable IDed WW2 wool based VMF 214 is a patch I would pay 2000.00 just to own.It would sell for at least 2500.00.If the guy checks out in the 214 roster its as rare as hens teeth.Scotty

I believe you could. Don't know how you're able to do it Scotty, but your USMC squadron patch auctions set the high bar. I've seen the same patch listed by other sellers at the same time that never even get out of the starting block and yours sell everytime. What's the secret????

Thanks Everyone,

I have sealed the deal and will get the patch and photo of the pilot and more info tomorrow. The son has hit hard times and I assured him that when things get better for him I will sell it back to him for the same price I pay. So I will get to enjoy it for awhile and have it on display.

Once I have it together I will post it.

Cheers Dan

Ok I have the patch and a scan of the pilot.

His name is 2nd LT. John Stodd and I'm very honored to have this in my collection

Cheers Dan

post-2552-1267300679.jpg

• 4 months later...

His name is 2nd LT. John Stodd and I'm very honored to have this in my collection

Cheers Dan

The Pilot's daughter is seeking the return/purchase of these items.

Bob Hudson
The Pilot's daughter is seeking the return/purchase of these items.

How do you know that?

Sounds like she needs to talk to her brother about that.

teufelhunde.ret

Quite agree. Dan this is between family members - stay out of it!

Brian Dentino
Quite agree. Dan this is between family members - stay out of it!

I will second that! I have been caught up in something similar some time back......it can get really ugly. Enjoy the patch but keep your head down!

Thanks for the advice Everyone,

I do not get involved in family disputes... He has my contact info and I will only deal with him.

Regards Dan

How do you know that?

Because I was contacted by the sister apparently because I posted a reply when Dan first made this posting. I'm not taking sides, just passing the message. Jeffro

• 5 years later...

I think I have one, if you're interested -- feel free to contact me! Ellen

• 1 month later...
Patchcollector

Cheers Dan

Beautiful patch,and one that is seldom seen!