Officer AEF Service Uniform Grouping, Capt U.S.M.R.C.

Here are the uniforms of Dr. H. Drew S. Capt U.S.M.R.C.

S was attached to the (I believe) British 50th Division (Northumbrian) and has their division sign on both shoulders of his "walking out" and combat uniforms. If I have mis identified the British Division, please let me know.

post-594-1183315074.jpg

As you can see, he wears the British insignia on both sides of his uniform. The campaign hat is a "Stetson"

Here is S's Combat tunic. This is the tunic he wore through the war (it shows!):

post-594-1183315307.jpg

Again, the coat has the British formation markings on each shoulder. The hat is piped in maroon soutache for Medical Reserve Corps.

Here is S's Summer uniform, and some miscelleneous personal items:

post-594-1183315479.jpg

Of note is his Garrison belt. He apparently never wore it as it is still "in the pink"

Here is S's Officer's Medical Belt with contents:

post-594-1183315696.jpg

The only items missing are the "small operating case" and one of the pill holders is missing its top.

Finally, here is S's officer's ID card.

post-594-1183316002.jpg

Note that he is wearing the combat tunic in the photograph. You can just see the division sign on his right shoulder.

New Romantic

That is an awesome group Chris, thanks for posting this! It's amazing he saved his medical belt along with it's contents. You're lucky to have such a nice group.

Fixbayonets!

A very impressive group, the medical belt with it's original contents is quite a find just by itself!

Rob

All,

Thanks!

I was most impressed that he actually saved his combat tunic; rips, stains, snags and all.

Most of the WW1 militaria we see today was issued after hostilities ceased for the victory parades back home. Very little of the true combat worn stuff was saved.

Chris

Chris,

This is the one that Mr. UMMM UMMM has been telling me about off and on. LOL I'm slowly getting the junkpile of my collection organized and want to get some photos of. This is the group that the picker got correct?

John

Chris,

Yep, its the 50th! And, it is good to see that the good Dr. followed the 1916 Brit uniform regs regarding shoulder identification! Is there any sign of anything being sewn in the center of the back up around the neck? Some Brit divisions did that as well to ID the particular company. I had a cuff rank that had that.

John

John,

Yep, this one came out of NJ. I have a ton more of his stuff, but pants shirts and leggings aren't so photogenic. The jackets never appear to have had formation marks on the back.

I have gotten some really great stuff out of Bob.

Chris

• 7 years later...
Too Much WW1 Militaria

Chris and I did some trading, and I have this group now. Have been doing some research, and Doc Silver was not a happy camper. This goes to prove that things never change..........

A letter from Dr. Silver

"I respectfully request that I be given my release from the British Army in order that I might apply for discharge from the United States Army. My reasons for desiring immediate release are as follows: I have a wife & child to support. I left a considerable civilian practice in Windsor, New Jersey, USA which my father has attempted to care for in my absence.... He is an old man.... His health has not been of the best for some years and he has undergone five serious abdominal operations in the past eight years.... The result is that he has broken down from over-work during the influenza epidemic of this winter.... I have served with the British Army since October 3-1917. Remained in England until Mar 23-1918 and have since served in France with the 1/1 Northumbrian Field Ambulance, 8th Durham Light Infantry, 1/3 Northumbrian Field Ambulance and am now at #22 C.C.S. 81."

Well, he wrote this as a 1st LT, and got out as a CPT. So, either the British or American Army said "Nope" LOL

I've since found the correct small surgical kit for the officers medical belt.

John

This is really a cool group and I agree wholeheartedly, too great to remain buried in the past Forum!! This is exactly the type medical officer's group, attached to the British, that I've been looking for , for years! I love the letter-it's such a personal story of the soldier/doctor's experiences! Was there much paper with it or other photos? Please pass me the word if ever you decide to part with it yourself! Thanks for sharing it with us more recent additions to the Forum!

David

Too Much WW1 Militaria

David,

There is his commission, and that's it for paper. I found this letter online.

John