GUARD MARKED M3

Greg Robinson

• 6 months later...

Hi Greg,

Are these guard marked M3 trench knifes 1944 or 1945 production?

Could a guard marked M3 be correct for the Market Garden operation?

Greg Robinson
Hi Greg,

Are these guard marked M3 trench knifes 1944 or 1945 production?

Could a guard marked M3 be correct for the Market Garden operation?

The government changed the spec in November 1943 requiring markings to be moved to the guard. I'm sure it took some time to produce the new dies and made the changeover. And then all production of the M3 ceased in August 1944. So could a guard marked M3 have been in the field in time for Market Garden? It's possible.....but only in the hands of troops newly arrived in Europe.

Thanks Greg!

Here a picture from the Market Garden operation:

havenmetroyaustinkiawebey8.jpg

Note that the guy has an M8A1 or modified M8 scabbard with belt hook.

Greg Robinson
Thanks Greg!

Here a picture from the Market Garden operation:

Note that the guy has an M8A1 or modified M8 scabbard with belt hook.

Since it has the "long" belt loop or "frog" I'm saying it's a factory made M8A1. And since they didn't come along until after the switchover to guard markings I'd say the odds were in favor of that M3 being guard marked.

Greg

• 1 year later...
The government changed the spec in November 1943 requiring markings to be moved to the guard. I'm sure it took some time to produce the new dies and made the changeover. And then all production of the M3 ceased in August 1944. So could a guard marked M3 have been in the field in time for Market Garden? It's possible.....but only in the hands of troops newly arrived in Europe.

Greg; Hope this isn't a silly question but, does the production time of 9 - 10 months mean that for a collector that a guard marked Case M3 would be worth more than a blade marked Case M3?

Meaning if given a choice between the two style of markings, the guard marked is the better choice? (if otherwise the M3's appear the same)?

Greg; Hope this isn't a silly question but, does the production time of 9 - 10 months mean that for a collector that a guard marked Case M3 would be worth more than a blade marked Case M3?

Meaning if given a choice between the two style of markings, the guard marked is the better choice? (if otherwise the M3's appear the same)?

I tend to see the blade marked M3 knives being worth more.It seems like they go higher.Collectors seem to like the 1943 date on the blade.

RON

• 1 year later...
Cobrahistorian

My grandfather came in as a replacement officer the first week of July 44 and joined the 83rd Division in Normandy. He carried a guard-marked Imperial M3 for his entire time in Europe and it now resides in my display case in my museum room. It was definitely possible for paratroops to be carrying them by Market Garden, especially since when they were pulled out of Normandy, they were issued completely new uniforms and gear.

Jon

For whatever it's worth I have three guard marked M3's, Camillus, Case, Kinfolks(blued blade) all mint, thatcame w/ mint M6 scabbards, Milsco, Viner, and Barwood. Got them from the guy who opened the boxes. Also a blade marked Aerial, in an early M8. I believe it was highly possible that guard marked were around for Market Garden. The units were retrained and refitted after Normandy, plus new replacements. Just makes sense to me. SKIP