Is this real?

blkjack07

Was there ever really such a thing? Never seen anything even close to this before.

Thanks,

John :blink:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

"EXTREMELY RARE ORIGINAL ANTIQUE THEATER MADE WORLD WAR I U.S.ARMY 344TH OR 345 LIGHT TANK SERVICE PRIVATE FIRST CLASS CIRCULAR CHEVRON.. A OLIVE DRAB WOOL CIRCULAR CHEVRON, 2 1/2" IN DIAMETER. WITH A SIDE VIEW OF A LIGHT TANK IN A CONTRASTING OLIVE DRAB WOOL.. THIS IS A DIFFERENT VARIATION OF THE 1918-1919 EMERSON CATALOG NO. 343 WHICH HAS A SIDE VIEW OF THE MARK V HEAVY TANK"

post-8076-1267071286.jpg

I think this is one of those items you'd have to look at and hold in your hands to pass an accurate judgement on. Remember that WWI Army rank insignia varied a LOT in the colors and workmanship used by the different contractors to make them. Then too we are not even taking into account the variations in the color photograph of this item.

Another point to consider with a lot of insignia, is that if someone is going to make fakes, is the insignia going to be sold in such numbers to warrant the expense of making them? I mean, how many of these little PFC disc would you have to sell to collectors to even recover the cost of having them made? A piece like this would be bought primarily my rank insignia collectors and possibly collectors who just chase WWI items. How many of those potential customers are out there? Are these little critters flooding the collectors market?

Too many questions to just dismiss these out of hand as repros or fantasy pieces.

I'd think more evidence is needed one way or the other to pass judgement. :think:

Just my 2 cents worth.

craig_pickrall

I don't know anything about WW1 insignia but that tank looks more like a baby duck to me.