BLADE MARKED M3

Greg Robinson

I have my Father's M3 PAL. He was a B17 pilot in England and flew his first mission in October of '43 which coincides well with this knife's history. The knife has some evidence of some attempt to sharpen it on the short side. The long side blade is pristine. Handle and scabbard are in near perfect shape. There is no rust and you can see some patina from the knife being stored in the scabbard. The knife has been stored in Colorado since 1945. I plan on keeping this piece of history and family heirloom. I'm glad I found this website and now realize this is a pretty valuable WWII artifact. I'll post some pictures.

Moe

1_resample.bmp

2_resample.bmp

5_resample.bmp

12_resample.bmp

• 1 month later...

Here is my contribution - a Camillus blade-marked M3 fighting knife and M8 scabbard with a decidedly "been there and done that" look about it:

m3andm8sidebyside.jpg

And, here is the same knife in less "sterile", more natural surroundings thumbsup.gif -

comp12highresbw.jpg

Tim

• 1 year later...

Finaly my M3 arrived! Nice looking full of caracter knife indeed.Guard is not marked so an early dated knife.

Its an imperial,with flaming bomb on the handle.

M8 scabbard.Looks repainted also.

post-1820-1277679508.jpg

• 8 months later...

I have an M3 Case that belonged to my Dad during WWII. He was in the Navy in the South Pacific (Guadalcanal & the Solomon Islands) 1945-46. I have researched the knife and understand it's not standard Navy issue. It has a fiberglass scabbard marked USM8 B.M.CO. which along with the blade marking dates its manufacture date to Sep. 1943-Nov. 1943 (I think.) Does anyone know why the scabbard was painted white? Possibly to match his white Navy uniform? Would you recommend removing the white paint to make it more authentic or just leave it alone? The knife is in pretty good shape except for some rust on the guard. Should I clean it?

Thanks for any help!

Jennifer

post-28347-1299630014.jpg

post-28347-1299630138.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

From top:

"Camillus 1943 ("S.P.L. Co.")";

"R.C. Co. 1943 ("Milsco")";

"Utica"- almost like new;

"Case"- mint-o!!!!! This one is my favorite of the lot...

post-3226-1300658107.jpeg

Even though it's more used, I've considered this one to be the pride of the M3 fleet, as I'm told that Robeson Cutlery M3s are among the rarest:

post-3226-1300900866.jpeg

BINGO!! Dated RCC's are rare!! You only see 2 or 3 come up for sale in a year. In fact I've seen more V42's this year than RCC's. Tried posting mine, but it ain't happening today. SKIP

Good grief, that's saying something :blink: V42s are one of the very top collectible U.S. blades around!

• 3 weeks later...

'Flage Guy- As I had mentioned 23 March in our conversation you see more V-42's for sale than RCC dated blades. Here's two on ebay now. item # 260765287527 and 190521459103. One thing I have noticed is that seems like the Navy issued ones are coming up on the market. Both are USN scabbard versions, stamped E-21 & A-23 respectively on the scabbards. Interesting! My co-worker collector friend showed me a beautiful mint Camillus blade dated M3 he just got in a trade w/ Milsco M6. It's legit! No! He won't sell it to me, but if he decides I'll be the first he approaches. SKIP

Point of interest #190521459103 is the same V42 sold on 30 Mar #110667321306. Note the USN scabbard A-23. SKIP

Skip: THANKS!! Even if I don't intend to buy something, I sure enjoy checking it out :w00t: :w00t:

I can't bring my self to shell out the kind of money V42's fetch. Heck I get too distracted by M3's to save enough. Someday! SKIP

That's quite a drawer-full of knives! Beautiful.

That ID'd one is a real keeper, too.

What are those two that appear to have brass fittings?

Thanks,

Don.

That's quite a drawer-full of knives! Beautiful.

That ID'd one is a real keeper, too.

What are those two that appear to have brass fittings?

Thanks,

Don.

Thanks Don

I have a similiar drawer of Navy and USMC Mk2s and Mk1s

One of these Days I will get them layed out for a photo.

The knives with the brass fittings are British made private purchase.One is a Taylor Eyewitness Brand.Both made in Sheffield Endlad.The one in the front is from a 508th PIR medical officer.Jumped Normandy,Holland,Was at the Buldge too.He was a Battallion surgeon.The other is from a 113th Cavalry vet and is mint.The 103rd M3 as from the vet.My dad bought it for me back in the late 70s.We met him at a gunshow and he invited us to his home adsold the knife to my dad and gave me a patch.

Thanks for the kind comments and for looking

RD