Jump Wings and Jump Oval assistance

Moonlight Gecko

Moonlight Gecko

I found these wings and jump oval on a pacific war uniform. What do you think of the wings? Also, does anyone know what unit the oval represents?

post-339-1266999939.jpg

I found these wings and jump oval on a pacific war uniform. What do you think of the wings? Also, does anyone know what unit the oval represents?

Oval is for unattached personnel. Jack

Moonlight Gecko

Thanks for the replies and information. Would this particular oval be for an unattached soldier of a specific unit/division? Or just a generic oval for an unattached soldier who is jump qualifed ?

In my opinion the oval is a generic infantry oval.Not all units had approved or authoized ovals.Many wore the generic ones.I have seen them solid blue and like the one posted with silver/grey border.

Here is one from a vet of the 17th/1st Allied Airborne.

I should add he was with 193rd GIR if I recall correctly

post-342-1267065859.jpg

back of the wings.

Awesome Wings, I wish I had a set in my collection could have been a soldier that was going to or left the 11th Airborne Division or one of the OSS organizations. Great detail Thanks for shareing.

John

Moonlight Gecko
Nice set of wings! I've found 3 different variations of Angus wings over the years. What does the rest of the uniform look like?

Thanks for the replies. I will post pictures of the jacket in the uniform section.

I think the wings are a very nice find!

Andrew does say Special order or post war so could be wartime as well. I'd love to find out more too.

snake36bravo
In my opinion the oval is a generic infantry oval.Not all units had approved or authoized ovals.Many wore the generic ones.I have seen them solid blue and like the one posted with silver/grey border.

Here is one from a vet of the 17th/1st Allied Airborne.

I should add he was with 193rd GIR if I recall correctly

post-342-1267065859.jpg

Nice jump wings really. Haven t seen Australian made until now.

Do you happen to know what the significance of the larger star on the ribbon means? I have two WW2 ribbon bars like this

Nice jump wings really. Haven t seen Australian made until now.

Do you happen to know what the significance of the larger star on the ribbon means? I have two WW2 ribbon bars like this

Snake

The jump wings on the shirt are US made and I posted this picture to show the similarities in the ovals worn as a generic infantry oval.His glider wings are english made and I suspect the ribbon bar is as well.The large campaign star(s) are english ones as far as I have been able to figure out.I have a 508th/82nd group to a Normandy/Holland/Buldge vet.He wears to large stars on his wings for Normandy and Holland.

Thanks for looking

Brian Dentino
Snake

The jump wings on the shirt are US made and I posted this picture to show the similarities in the ovals worn as a generic infantry oval.His glider wings are english made and I suspect the ribbon bar is as well.The large campaign star(s) are english ones as far as I have been able to figure out.I have a 508th/82nd group to a Normandy/Holland/Buldge vet.He wears to large stars on his wings for Normandy and Holland.

Thanks for looking

Maybe instead of arrowheads? From the one pic above with the jump wings and glider wings it almost looks like a 325th GIR oval behind them. How can you tell the difference?

I know that some of the glider riders did get their jump wings as well, and if he was a 17th he may have transferred over to the 325/82nd for occupation to take the place of some of the "high pointers" that were due to return home.