79th Infantry and 1st Infantry Grouping

siege1863

Okay, here is the most recent accession to my Samuelson collection. The seller who sold me his letters and some of his German souvenirs acquired what is essentiall the last of his WWII items. After a few weeks of negotiation, I was able to buy it.

Raymond Samuelson first served in the 315th Infantry Regiment of the 79th Infantry Division. Four months after V-E Day, he was transferred to the 26th Infantry Regiment of the 1st Infantry Division. As was mentioned in earlier posts, while with the "Blue Spaders", he was stationed at Nuremberg, where his battalion guarded SS prisoners.

SamuelsonPortrait.jpg

CIBs1.jpg

315thDI.jpg

79thInfPatches.jpg

26thDI.jpg

1stID.jpg

The two on fourrageres on the left were for service with the 26th Infantry Regt and can be seen in his portrait above. The one on the right was while with the 315th Infantry Regt.

Fourrageres.jpg

Cheverons.jpg

Stripes.jpg

The insignia on the left is a screwback. This is the first I have seen.

Discharge.jpg

Not shown but in my possession is the Occupation Medal. I hope to receive from the niece of Mr. Samuelson his Bronze Star Medal issued in conjunction with the CIB.

Medals.jpg

Also included was this little gem--insignia for the 6850th Internal Security Detachment , which provided the guard and security at the War Crimes Trial!

Security1.jpgSecurity2.jpg