USMC Fourth Base Defense Patch Real or Fake?

usmcega

Hello Guys,

I am wanted to know what you thought of this patch. Is it real or fake?

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

This is a common copy whose distinguishing features (from the front) are the bomb is pointed, not rounded; the shield is narrower than the original, and the space at the top angle of the "4" is too wide. You don't even need to flip it over to look for snow, or to black light it.

Bob Capistrano

It's funny how after a rare patch gets sold for decent money on ebay more start coming out of the woodwork, some good and some that are pretty obvious repros like this one. Not obvious enough though it seems, this patch sold for $81! :ermm:

Thanks guys! Yes I was the dummy who bought it for $81 Laughing....... It looked fairly good to me when I came across it but I am not an expert when it comes to SSIs and there was not enought time to post it hear. There was 14 other bidders so I too a chance it could be real. I plan on returning it.

Thanks for your help gentlemen!

Thanks guys! Yes I was the dummy who bought it for $81 Laughing....... It looked fairly good to me when I came across it but I am not an expert when it comes to SSIs and there was not enought time to post it hear. There was 14 other bidders so I too a chance it could be real. I plan on returning it.

Thanks for your help gentlemen!

Here is an example of a genuine patch, this one on felt. The full-embroidered patch is of similar size and with similar charges.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Bob

Here is an example of a genuine patch, this one on felt. The full-embroidered patch is of similar size and with similar charges.

Bob

Thanks Bob! I will keep a watch on it and see how it goes. I see they go off ebay from $308 to $400. When I use to see them they where at $175-200 last year. Why the drastic price jump?

Thanks Bob! I will keep a watch on it and see how it goes. I see they go off ebay from $308 to $400. When I use to see them they where at $175-200 last year. Why the drastic price jump?

Good question. I think more collectors have been getting into Marine patches in the last few years, so the scarcer ones have been shooting up in price because of demand. I got my FE and EF 4th MBDAW patches 20 years ago for around $35 a pop.

Bob

Bob

BTY I know the seller personally, he is a great guy, been doing this a long time! I have purchased a LOT of stuff from him over the years and NEVER had a complaint! :twothumbup:

BTY I know the seller personally, he is a great guy, been doing this a long time! I have purchased a LOT of stuff from him over the years and NEVER had a complaint! :twothumbup:

Great! Thanks for the advice. I just hope it does not go to high. I have all but 3 ww2 era USMC patches there where and that is one of them. Next is the Gold Mac and the cape gloucester.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally bought a real one. It has seen better days but for $65 you can't complain.

Let me know what you think. I hope it is a winner. :thumbsup:

post-8929-1268412029.jpg

post-8929-1268412042.jpg

Looks original to me... To bad somebody trimmed the scallops off the top though... probably was mothed, but would have been better to leave it that way.

Looks original to me... To bad somebody trimmed the scallops off the top though... probably was mothed, but would have been better to leave it that way.

That's true. They should have left it alone. But for the price and what these are going for now a days on ebay. It is a good filler until I find a better one. :thumbsup: