Removing Wrinkles

Sgt Saunders

I recently bought a large lot of uniforms and gear. They were all stuffed in plastic space saver bags.

The three WWII uniforms are wrinkle city. I'm just hanging them it hopes over time they will straighten out. What is the best unobtrusive way to remove wrinkles? I really don't want to dry clean them. Any ideas?

100_1091.jpg

Nothing wrong with a GOOD dry cleaner, I've done 100s of uniforms without a single mess up. If you are dead set against it try using a steamer or just try ironing them out.

I would use a steamer first. Ironing can set wrinkles even harder if you don't do it right.

With the steamer, gently steam, then work areas flat with your fingers. Let it dry, then repeat as needed.

Good luck.

If you do decide to dryclean, I always tell them NO sharp creases. It may damage the material.

G

Captainofthe7th

In addition to what's already been said, I've had good luck ironing wool uniforms like this. I use a thin (but not too thin) dish towel or silk and iron that over the uniform. You have to be super careful, but I haven't had a problem yet.

Rob

The best way to remove the wrinkles is to use a steamer. I have a small portable steamer that I use on most of my uniforms and have never had a single problem. If you are a uniform collector a steamer is a must have item. WWII Ike Jacket's and 4-pocket tunic's are extremely durable are you are not going to harm them the least little bit by using a steamer. It really does make the jacket or coat look a hell of a lot better verses looking like an accordian.

Just remove the insignia, steam the jacket/coat really good (don't be afraid to pull or press on it as you are not going to hurt it at all) and then let it air dry completely. After it's dry, or even if it's still a little damp, shoot it with a little febreze, and then let it dry completely.

If you are worried about replacing the insignia, just take a few really good pic's of the insignia before you remove it and then you will know exactly where to place it.

This method has always worked very well for me. By the way there is absolutely nothing wrong with dry cleaning, but I would not iron the uniform.

I hope this helps

Thanks for the tips. I've used a steamer before but wanted to know if there any other secrets I didn't know about. I just don't have a steamer yet. Next investment........

Thanks Guys!