Need some help with B-8 goggles please

Robbo

Hi all,

I've seen numerous posts on the forum about the B-8 goggles and M-1944's. I understand that the M-1944's saw limited use in WW2 so am looking to buy some B-8's, however I am struggling to see any differences. Could anyone please help me out on this,maybe post pics of the 2 types side by side and let me know what to look for when buying the B-8 type.

Thank you.

Rob

I believe both B8 and M1944 goggles are clearly marked so on top of the frame. The M1944 at least is dated at one of the sides of the frame. This type however is indeed not worn in the ETO in WW2 except perhaps some individual cases. If you need a good period correct pair of all-purpose goggles you can also consider the Polaroid 1021.

Greetz ;)

David

The B-8 and M-44 Goggles are the same except for the designation, B-8 is AAF and M-44 is Army. The Army used B-8s but when the procured them for themselves the used the M-44 designation. The way they were packaged was different though.

Hi Rob,

The first version of these aviation goggles was the Polaroid Aviation Goggle 1065 and the frame was so marked. These were used by both the Army Air Forces and Naval Aviation. They were then standardized by the AAF as the type B-8.

post-9787-1267024443.jpg

post-9787-1267024546.jpg

I'm guessing by your avatar that you're interested in the 8th AF. Either of these types would have been used extensively by 8th AF fliers. The M-1944 goggle was developed as a general purpose goggle and saw use by Army ground forces and the U.S. Navy. It had a simplified elastic strap and lacked the chamois lining of the aviation goggles. The best way to tell the difference in a vintage photo is to look at the flange on the bridge of the nose. It extends out past the frame on the 1065 / B-8s, but is recessed behind the frame on the M-1944s. The Navy also developed their own version of the M-1944 (see below) as an aviation goggle later in WWII. It featured a fabric and elastic strap and chamois lining. Regards, Paul

post-9787-1267025160.jpg

Pararaftanr2 pointed out a number of differences but the one that stands out from ten feet away is the chamois leather lining on the B-8's.

Tom

WOW!! Thanks for to all the posters who have helped me out here. I am now totally clear on the issue. Thats one of the great things about this forum, so many people with so much knowledge who are always willing to help!!

Thanks again.

Rob

Johan Willaert
Pararaftanr2 pointed out a number of differences but the one that stands out from ten feet away is the chamois leather lining on the B-8's.

Don't know if they're early or late but there are B-8 without chamois lining....

To see the difference, just look at the marking on top... either M1944 or B-8

Don't know if they're early or late but there are B-8 without chamois lining....

To see the difference, just look at the marking on top... either M1944 or B-8

IIRC all B-8 goggles have the chamois lining.

Cobrahistorian

I've actually tried switching lenses between M44s and B-8s and they were slightly different and wouldn't switch. It has been several years, but IIRC, the B-8s are wider at the bridge of the nose than M44s.

Jon

There was also a "hybrid" M-1944 / B-8 goggle that had the frames and lenses of a B-8 goggle, but used the plain olive drab elastic strap found on the M-1944s. There was no chamois backing. I think this may be the type Johan is referring to. The envelope for their spare lenses states "This particular goggle does not use the standard size goggle M-1944 lens. Only a limited quantity of these goggles have been purchased.....". I don't own a pair, but here are some photos from a recent ebay auction. The aperture of the B-8 goggles is smaller than that of the M-1944s, so the lenses are not readily interchangeable. Regards, Paul

post-9787-1267040507.jpg

post-9787-1267040565.jpg

post-9787-1267040598.jpg

post-9787-1267040629.jpg

There was also a "hybrid" M-1944 / B-8 goggle that had the frames and lenses of a B-8 goggle, but used the plain olive drab elastic strap found on the M-1944s. There was no chamois backing. I think this may be the type Johan is referring to. The envelope for their spare lenses states "This particular goggle does not use the standard size goggle M-1944 lens. Only a limited quantity of these goggles have been purchased.....". I don't own a pair, but here are some photos from a recent ebay auction. The aperture of the B-8 goggles is smaller than that of the M-1944s, so the lenses are not readily interchangeable. Regards, Paul

post-9787-1267040507.jpg

post-9787-1267040565.jpg

post-9787-1267040598.jpg

post-9787-1267040629.jpg

Yep, every days a school day. I saw an auction for this with both B-8 and m-1944 on the box and it totally confused me. Thanks for all the info.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I know this is resurrecting an old thread somewhat (understatement) , but do We have a definitive answer on these "Hybrid" Goggles?

I now know of 4 pairs the two on this thread ,a friend has a pair and I do.

Mine are marked B-8's on the frame and Goggles M-1944-B-8 on the box

But that stock code looks very modern are these Goggles Wartime ?

any help appreciated ,thanks.

Nige.

Interesting about the hybrids, never came across them before, but as they seem to be rare , I'd still look for the chamois lining. You can spot that a mile away. Not all B-8s are marked on top. Some are marked on the side where the strap connects. Also there is the polaroid 1065 goggle which is a dead ringer if not the predecessor of the B-8. It's also usually marked on the side and comes in a slightly larger brown box w/ an attached flap sort of like a file folder.

Thanks dabreeze , I have the other types of B-8's too but these threw me somewhat . as in the generally accepted B-8 "Genus" they shouldn't exist . They must fit somewhere in the B-8 family .

In particular the stock number info on the box ,it looks almost like a DSA number in form and I just wanted to know if these were definitely Wartime Goggles ?

Hi, been doing some thinking about these hybrid goggles. While the stock # is not consistent w/ the AAF system, it is consistent w/ the army system in WWII. Check out the stock # on the jungle food bags for instance ( 74-B-54-75 ). I've seen the same system used on army clothing but not AAF items. My guess is that the hybrid goggles are very late war at best and more likely fall into that space immediately after the war when things were being consolidated more but that's just a guess. Hopefully some paperwork will surface. -- Breezy

Blue Leader

Hi,

These hybrid goggles seem to be an after war model made by Polaroid for the US Army using the frame of the B-8 model without the chamois backing and the olive drab elastic strap of the M-1944 model.

The box and the stock number (47-G-77) are the same as the M-1944 goggles, only Type B-8 is added. Type B-8 indicates that lenses are no compatible with the old model.

The M-1944 goggles are dated on the right side 1944 or 1945. I suppose M-1944, Type B-8 googles have been produced in small quantiy in 1945 or just after war for evaluation in the US Army because more confortable and more economical than the M-1944 model.

Mathieu

littlebuddy

Many thanks Mathieu ! So we can comfortably say that these are POST WAR type goggles then !!

LB