5th Motor Transport Squadron (Mule Train)

all-bull

Hello,

Does anyone have a history on this unit during the Korean War? I can find where people belonged to it from 50-53 on the internet, but cannot find any information on what the unit exactly did. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

post-2063-1266948465.jpg

the 5th Motor Transport Squadron was attached to the 5th Air Force and supported the 3rd Motor Transport Squadron, 3rd Bombardment Wing (L) at Kunsan Air Base. There job was to haul munitions from the Kunsan Harbor to Kunsan Air Base and do off-base transportation.

• 2 years later...

The 5th Mule Train was far more than an attached unit to the 3rd Motor Transport Squadron. While that is true, at Kunsan they were a detachment out of Yong Dong Po in the Seoul, Korea area. They transported weapons, munitions, fuel, and all kinds of supplies throughout Korea to include into and out of North Korea when the Allied troops pushed across the 38th parallel. They were a very close knit unit. Although I was not in the 5th Mule Train, to young, I was in the 2nd Mule Train out of Osan AB, Korea. The 2nd Mule had the same basic mission of transporting supplies throughout Korea to include P Y Do and Chejudo Island. I am currently in touch with 23 "Mules" I have located through the internet.

• 8 months later...
  • 7 years later...
On 1/22/2013 at 10:19 PM, rdrobertson said:

The 5th Mule Train was far more than an attached unit to the 3rd Motor Transport Squadron. While that is true, at Kunsan they were a detachment out of Yong Dong Po in the Seoul, Korea area. They transported weapons, munitions, fuel, and all kinds of supplies throughout Korea to include into and out of North Korea when the Allied troops pushed across the 38th parallel. They were a very close knit unit. Although I was not in the 5th Mule Train, to young, I was in the 2nd Mule Train out of Osan AB, Korea. The 2nd Mule had the same basic mission of transporting supplies throughout Korea to include P Y Do and Chejudo Island. I am currently in touch with 23 "Mules" I have located through the internet.

I was in the 2nd Mule train in 1967-1969 when they captured the Pueblo. We were on P Y Do island delivering supplies. Can you send me some of the contacts that you hae so I can see if any of them were there when I was. Thanks

Mr Roberts

I saw your post and was wondering if you know if any of the guys you are in contact with were in Korea from 1967-1969. That's when I was there. Right when the Pueblo was captured. 

We were delivering fuel and other supplies to the P Y Do radar site.

Sorry Donn, no. If I had this one still I'd give it to you, but it's long gone. I scan every one I get, so I still had it in my files.

Randy

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know of anyone who was assigned to the 2nd Mule Train Unit on Osan AB, Korea 1967-68?  I am looking for information to verify my presence in the area of Camp Casey and more specifically an Air Force Radar Site (Yong Mo Song) that was about a days drive somewhat Northeast of Camp Casey. I rode with 2nd Mule Train on my initial outings to all Radar Sites because there were no maps, so we had to follow markings on trees and large boulders with paint for directional markings. I need information to support my claim for Agent Orange exposure during that period. The exposure period was September 1967 to 1968.

I was assigned to Det. 6, G. E. E. I. A. (GEEIA) on Osan Air Base part of the Advance Party to establish Air Force Radar Sites through South Korea in the following locations:

1. Yong Mon Song (about a days drive from Camp Casey (seemingly northeast).

2. Pal Ga Son

3. Ui Song Bong

4. Mangil Son

5. Irol Son

6. P Y Do

7. Che Ju Do

I did ride Shot Gun with the Name Randy during one of my trips. Any information regarding this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wiley