British made Glider wings LONDON mark?

Squad leader

Looks US made with a Brit pin on it.. Paul

Just curious. What makes it look US made? I've seen the odd little square design on the back of other British made glider wings before.

Just curious. What makes it look US made? I've seen the odd little square design on the back of other British made glider wings before.

I think Paul is commenting on the overall design of the wing,type of feathering to the wing detail and design of the glider.

Pretty intresting wing.

RON

Perhaps we can have a better look at how the pin is attached to the wing???

rgds

Bart P

Sorry Bart but this is the only pix I can provide.

Too bad...

Must say that I don't see this as Brit made wings... Def. US made...

Why that "British" pin is on, is a mystery to me... :think:

rgds

Bart

In my humble opinion, there should be a maker's name above "LONDON", for example, J.R.Gaunt, Firmin or Ludlow, the principal manufacturers of military insignia. I've never seen a British wing of any description simply marked "London". Also, if there was any silver content the wing would bear a British hallmark. Just my 2 pence worth!

Sabrejet :think:

Ron,

you read my mind, it looks alot different than the Brit ones I have.. Paul

Paul,

Any chance of some photos of your British-made wings for comparison?

For comparison, here's one made by Gaunt that I obtained directly from a 325th GIR veteran. To me, the glider design looks very similar to the one that was originally posted.

d87c69c2.jpg

754076d2.jpg

If you look at the top of the left hand (as you look at it) wing you will notice a series of holes. Also the detail is softer as compared to the Gaunt wing shown for reference. This is one of the cast fakes coming over from the UK. They were common as dirt for a while on ebay with the Gaunt mark, and then the Gaunt mark was removed but the London mark remained for some inexplicable reason.

If you look at the top of the left hand (as you look at it) wing you will notice a series of holes. Also the detail is softer as compared to the Gaunt wing shown for reference. This is one of the cast fakes coming over from the UK. They were common as dirt for a while on ebay with the Gaunt mark, and then the Gaunt mark was removed but the London mark remained for some inexplicable reason.

Gary, were these were cast from a British-made badge or a US one with the British style pin attached?

They were cast from a British made badge which I believe was originally made by Ludlow.

Gary, were these were cast from a British-made badge or a US one with the British style pin attached?