Union Veterans Union

SARGE

Gents,

Here is a membership badge/medal for the Union Veterans Union. Yet another Civl War Union veteran's organization. UVU items are not often found and are downright scarce. Most of the Union veterans belonged to the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR).

UVU_Medal.JPG

Reverse view of the UVU membership badge.

UVU_Medal_back.JPG

Anyone with any other UVU memorabilia?

The UVU never developed the membership base of the GAR because they required combat service rather than just entry into the Union forces. As a result, their insignia are fairly scarce.

The UVU never developed the membership base of the GAR because they required combat service rather than just entry into the Union forces. As a result, their insignia are fairly scarce.

Jeff,

Thanks for the information on the UVU as a combat organization. Rather like the Brothers of the Battlefield group that also required combat service.

Here is an example of the UVU cap insigna. This is done in bullion embroidery for the Appomattox Command in Brockton, Mass.

UVU_cap_wreath_emb.JPG

• 6 months later...

I found what I believe to be an image of the Woman's Auxiliary to the UVU. This membership badge is for the Women Veterans Reserve Union. I have only ever seen this example and do not have it in my possession.

WVRU.jpg

Has anyone else encountered a badge like this?

Kevin

Kevin,

I have one of these badges but I have no idea what it is for. My top clasp has a ring for a drop of some sort (none there) but otherwise it is identical. There is nothing on the back of the the medal.

Kevin,

I have one of these badges but I have no idea what it is for. My top clasp has a ring for a drop of some sort (none there) but otherwise it is identical. There is nothing on the back of the the medal.

Sarge,

Based on the color of the ribbon and the overall style of the badge, I do believe that this is the women's auxiliary to the Union Veterans Union. I have misplaced my copy of American Society Medals by Bishop & Elliot, so I am not able to check there to see if I am correct.

Kevin