Meeting of local WW2 Vets

Steindaddie

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of meeting with a group of local men who are all vets of WW2. They aren't well known in the circles of popular military history, they don't sell autographs, and we locals mostly know them by their more recent deeds. When asked about the war, they just say "I did my part, and then went on with life."

But that is the motto of a hero, and yesterday our local history group got these men together and WE told their stories. After all, a true hero doesn't need to tell his tale - others tell it for him.

Left to right, meet:

Laurin "Bud" Zylstra - 926th Engineering Aviation Regt. He bulit airfields across France

John J. "Jim" Ronhaar - 313th Eng. Btt. He built bridges up the boot of Italy and was in Rome on liberation day.

Henry "Hank" Koetje - 66th Inf Div. Mortarman who fought all across France. Survived the sinking of the SS Leopoldville

Adolph "Mickey" Meisch - PBY gunner in the Aleutians (and a good friend)

Donald E. Gordon (seated) - 46th Ftr. Sqdn. A P-51 pilot on Iwo Jima who fought as infantry during a night banzai attack by Japanese holdouts.

Leon "Lee" Sher - 47th Ftr. Sqdn. Also a P-51 pilot on Iwo. Awarded the Silver Star for strafing and blowing up a Japanese destroyer.

Harold Johnson - USS Oklahoma at Pearl Harbor. He scrambled out of the capsizing ship with only seconds to spare.

Ray "John Wayne" Myers - Navy UDT man. He made three invasion landings in the Pacific.

And one more who was off for coffee when the group pic was snapped.....

post-1949-1266888575.jpg

Meet Harry H. Ferrier - He was a gunner in the Torpedo 8 squadron detachment on Midway island during the famous battle. His was the only TBF Avenger to return, shot to pieces and with a dead crewman. A 20mm shell grazed his head putting a hole through the ball cap he was wearing. Here he is holding that cap, his finger through the hole.

post-1949-1266888860.jpg