Tell me about this Civil Defense lantern

Abby K-9

Someone just donated this to the museum and we'd love to know more about it. It was made by the Majestic Metal, Spinning & Stamping Company, Inc. in Brooklyn, NY. A quick web search shows that the company was in business on 61 Navy Street and produced items until at least the 1960s. The lamp has a wooden handle and has been cleaned, according to the person who donated it.

post-5108-1266870925.jpg

I have no idea how they might have used this lantern. I'm assuming during blackouts? Or really any time a big flashlight would be useful.

Is it marked for the CD in any way? Most contract CD items are marked "Property of OCD" or similar. With the green paint and wooden handle, it does appear to be WW II vintage. It doesn’t appear to have any "blackout" features where you can shield the light. I could have been used by someone in the CD, but not actually "issue". Does it have a "Ceiling Price" OPA marking?

Neat looking lantern. I'll keep an eye out when looking at any of my CD paper if I spot it.

BKW

There is a Civil Defense logo (circle with a triangle with the letters CD) embossed on the back of the battery cover (the part that unscrews). You can kinda see it in the second photo, in the lower right. There's no OPA marking on it that I'm aware of, just the manufacturer's info on the side and the CD logo on the back.

I am not 100% sure but I think this may be a railroad signal lamp. The handle is used to swing the lamp back and forth to signal an oncoming train.

Rob

I am not 100% sure but I think this may be a railroad signal lamp. The handle is used to swing the lamp back and forth to signal an oncoming train.

Rob

You hit on it.I was issued one just like this when I hired on the Seaboard Coastline Railroad

back in the early 70s.

You hit on it.I was issued one just like this when I hired on the Seaboard Coastline Railroad

back in the early 70s.

Thanks for confirming, the shape of the handle was the tipoff for me.

Rob

Why would a railroad lamp have a Civil Defense logo embossed on it?

It would make sense for members of the CD who were patrolling railyard areas or cities/towns that had railroad tracks running through them. If bombs had damaged the tracks a member of the Civil Defense might be the one to signal the train to stop.

Rob

Or it could be just as simple as adapting a proven civilian item for government use. This thing has 1,000 uses the way it is designed, starting with the fact that you could sit it on the ground. You can swing it around to signal someone, you can hang it on a vehicle or a building... on and on.