USAAF Air Gunner wing..opinions

David B

Hi all,

I was hoping for some opinions on the below wing, they are not marked but I believe them to be sterling silver. Are they wartime/postwar or fake?

Any help would be most appreciated!

Cheers

Dave

post-554-1266845050.jpg

Need a picture of the back. But if it is not marked sterling the odds are it is not sterling. Since 1905 all items manufactured as sterling were required to be marked by the National Gold and Silver Stamp Act. To sell an item as sterling and it is not is subject to a $5000 fine per item. Anyone making a sterling item for sale to the government or via a PX would have marked the item. That is why you see both gold and silver items well marked since 1905.

BTW- the law is still on the books and even today if someone even says "I think it is sterling" in selling an item and it is not can be charged.

This wing appears to be die struck IMHO... I do not recall seeing this pattern not marked sterling but that does not mean it is not good. I have posted good examples of WW2 era wings without being stamped sterling. I have learned never say never.

Now looking at the posts themselves I would say that this makes me think it would have to be before 1955 since I think that is when it was part of the Mil spec to have a notch. I do not recall when the AG wing was phased out... maybe some of our resident experts can jump in here and help me remember. Bob, Paul, Dr. Frost... :)

Overall my gut feeling is that this is a post war wing.

Cheers

John

BTW nice HIGH RES photos :thumbsup:

Thanks for the opinions guys! :thumbsup:

I've had the wing tested at a jewellers and he said it was sterling silver but I don't reckon he filed it deep to be honest so if it is plated then he might have only tested the plate :rolleyes:

I believe the AG wing was phased out in 1949??

Cheers

Dave

• 1 month later...

The wing looks fine to me. For some reason a number of these wings will show their "sterling" marks partially or mostly wiped as this one seems to show. I agree with John, that based on the type and manner the post is attached on the reverse, that it is likely a post WWII piece made for rated gunners who stayed in the service.

John Cooper

David,

I did a quick search and found an undocumented post that stated the AG wings was issued until 1953 and phased out in 1955. This information happens to line up with my earlier post about the REGs for the clutch back posts. Maybe someone else can help clear this up with some documented information.

John

Collector Greg
Anymore opinions on this wing guys, I'm still scratching my head over it! :unsure:

Looks like and authentic wing to me. Isn't this an unmarked Amcraft pattern.

Based on the length of the posts I would think late to post WWII

The "other". Paul...

The applied bomb is always a plus. I see by the picture that on the high spots it appears that the base metal is showing through. Anyone else notice that? Pony.

The applied bomb is always a plus. I see by the picture that on the high spots it appears that the base metal is showing through. Anyone else notice that? Pony.

Yes I noticed this but even under magnification I couldn't make my mind up if it was the base metal showing or patina (y'know how patina on silver sometimes starts off a gold colour).

So it looks like the consensus on the wing is that it's most probably early postwar and made from a silver plated base metal (hence maybe why it looks like the sterling mark has been scratched out).

I confirmed the 1953 date I listed above via AFHSO research assistance.

John

Thanks John, that's much appreciated mate :thumbsup:

John Cooper
Thanks John, that's much appreciated mate :thumbsup:

David - more than happy to assit a fellow collector!

John