WWI individual bandage.

artu44

In our french forum our buddy Solcarlus pointed out that Individual Dressing Packet wrapped in paper were exclusively destinated to the ten pocket medical belt while was stated doughboys would have the brass First Aid Packet in their M1910 pocket as per MD manual 1916 dtd June 1918.

I was in doubt because casually I bought an M1912 belt complete with first aid pocket and mag pouch both filled with their original content unmessed since 90 years. Now, connecting fragmrntrd infos, my idea was that paper packets for the medical belt would have been white and unmarked (the medic knows what is there inside) while those well marked and contracted were destined to the soldiers together the brass ones. Could you enlighten me?

post-67-1266836922.jpg

It would make sense that a paper encased bandage wouldn't last long in a regular soldiers first aid pouch in a wet trench environment. Hence why they carried the brass encased ones. Medics would be utilizing their stocks almost daily, so a paper encased one wouldn't be as much a problem and easier for the medic to unwrap in a hurry.

With that being said, a soldier will use whatever is available and in most cases will restock from the medic. So, if he used his brass encased one on a buddy, then maybe the only thing that was available to replenish was what the local medic had onhand.

It would make sense that a paper encased bandage wouldn't last long in a regular soldiers first aid pouch in a wet trench environment. Hence why they carried the brass encased ones. Medics would be utilizing their stocks almost daily, so a paper encased one wouldn't be as much a problem and easier for the medic to unwrap in a hurry.

With that being said, a soldier will use whatever is available and in most cases will restock from the medic. So, if he used his brass encased one on a buddy, then maybe the only thing that was available to replenish was what the local medic had onhand.

Thanks a lot.