Multicam officially adopted for use in Afghanistan

Misanthropic_Gods

Cobrahistorian
I like to think of it as a case where the Army realizes it screwed up and is trying to fix it to the benefit of the troops...

Amen to that!

A friend of mine is headed out the door and just got issued ACUs with new colors in em instead of Multicam.

Hopefully we'll see the death of ACU (and A2CU!) very soon!

Jon

I know units have used the IMPAC card to buy alot of Multicam uniforms for deployments, I have no first hand knowledge of individual uniform purchases but I would not bet against them happening.

My 1st run set was loaned out and used for unit level testing

Someone needs slapped over this UCP screw up. Guess I'll put away my first pattern ACUs that I wore in 05, and guard the later styles in case my kids ever need something to sell for college funds :thumbsup:

Sad to think that I will probably be retired before the MC finally becomes the only issued combat uniform.

Any photos of it in use yet?? I saw some 2nd ID guys wearing it during a news story about unmaned drones last month.

Plenty of pics out there. Google the 12th Infantry, of the 4ID. They were the test BN for the multi-cam.

HOLD THE PRESS

Just talked to some guys at PM Warrior and the entire change of uniforms is on hold because Murtha was the only one pushing the unifrom change and no one is not really willing to pick up the lead on this and it all may be a dead issue now. Seems no one wants to champion this cause now that he is dead!

HOLD THE PRESS

Just talked to some guys at PM Warrior and the entire change of uniforms is on hold because Murtha was the only one pushing the unifrom change and no one is not really willing to pick up the lead on this and it all may be a dead issue now. Seems no one wants to champion this cause now that he is dead!

no pun intended?

informative post - thanks for sharing

Terry

HOLD THE PRESS

I here what your saying. However, the UCP has generated some of the most growing amount of critisizm of any issue US uniform. It started not long after issue in '05 and the brass did what brass does when the lowly fighters have a ligit gripe, they ignored us. It has grown much more vocal now and even has some attention beyond DA. The change will come, but won't be fast.

I here what your saying. However, the UCP has generated some of the most growing amount of critisizm of any issue US uniform. It started not long after issue in '05 and the brass did what brass does when the lowly fighters have a ligit gripe, they ignored us. It has grown much more vocal now and even has some attention beyond DA. The change will come, but won't be fast.

I agree that the change will eventually come, however, dont delude yourself into thinking that the Army will bow to the pressure of it and do it. Unless there is direct pressure from someone of great importance, it won't change quickly. With Murtha gone, there s no one else championing the cause. The answer you will most likely hear is that we are pulling out, so why sink money into a uniform when we won't need it in a year or two. The PM for Air Warrior told me yesterday, "you don't realize how many billions of dollars it will take just to change a camo pattern when we can't even buy the equipment to put it on".

I agree that the change will eventually come, however, dont delude yourself into thinking that the Army will bow to the pressure of it and do it. Unless there is direct pressure from someone of great importance, it won't change quickly. With Murtha gone, there s no one else championing the cause. The answer you will most likely hear is that we are pulling out, so why sink money into a uniform when we won't need it in a year or two. The PM for Air Warrior told me yesterday, "you don't realize how many billions of dollars it will take just to change a camo pattern when we can't even buy the equipment to put it on".

I'm not disagreeing with you at all Hawk. If and when it becomes official the change over will be agonizingly slow. On the positive side, the Army has now at least, in a round about way, admitted that the UCP is a failure for what they claimed for years it was designed for. Even if they made the MC army wide tomorrow, I'm sure the issued gear would reamain UCP for a very, very long time.

With Murtha gone, there s no one else championing the cause.

There are plenty of rank and file troops who are championing the change to multicam. According to one of my sources in the tactical clothing industry, the government just issued a contract bid for 40,000 units. I am not certain if that means full sets or individual units. The current holders of a license from Crye do not have that much production capacity so Crye might be forced to soften its current restrictions on licensing for clothing yet again. The two major US clothing manufacturers who have the license are Propper and Atlanco. There are far more gear manufacturers who have licenses as multicam accessories were being displayed throughout the tactical section of the SHOT show last month.

But it is a good move for all as the pattern is far more effective in far more environments that the ACU pattern. Despite the cost to change the uniform pattern, this change will save lives.

There are plenty of rank and file troops who are championing the change to multicam. According to one of my sources in the tactical clothing industry, the government just issued a contract bid for 40,000 units. I am not certain if that means full sets or individual units. The current holders of a license from Crye do not have that much production capacity so Crye might be forced to soften its current restrictions on licensing for clothing yet again. The two major US clothing manufacturers who have the license are Propper and Atlanco. There are far more gear manufacturers who have licenses as multicam accessories were being displayed throughout the tactical section of the SHOT show last month.

But it is a good move for all as the pattern is far more effective in far more environments that the ACU pattern. Despite the cost to change the uniform pattern, this change will save lives.

Don't doubt a single word you said, but with upcoming elections, it will take someone with more than rank and file status to pull on that purse string. As for a contract, they always issue contracts, but it takes a trigger puller to initiate it.

In the aviation community, we have had a contract for a new helmet liner and a different color of paint for some time, but the contract has yet to be initiated. Without Murtha and an incoming multi-trillion dollar debt, no one at the congressional level wants to be that trigger man, especially with upcoming elections

• 4 weeks later...
Bombe_Atomique

Bond,

in my opinion that's a pretty bad copy of the Multicam pattern.

the repetition length is way to short.

Ok s the US Army doesnt used the ACU,s and which unities currently used this kind of pattern. thanks for the information