Multicam officially adopted for use in Afghanistan

Misanthropic_Gods

Misanthropic_Gods

Thanks Merc 25 for the link

Apparently the Army has finally decided to field the Multicam uniforms they were testing in Afghanistan alongside UCP-D here in recent months. it looks like Units deploying there in the summer will be receiving Multicam as well as the FRACU's

http://www.defense.gov/Releases/Release.aspx?ReleaseID=13311

IMMEDIATE RELEASE No. 125-10

February 19, 2010

Army Selects New Camouflage for Afghanistan

The secretary of the Army announced today that the Army will provide combat uniforms in the MultiCam pattern to all soldiers deploying to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, starting this summer.

This decision follows a rigorous four-month evaluation and reflects the Army's commitment to giving soldiers in Afghanistan the most effective concealment possible.

Soldiers deploying to Afghanistan this summer will receive fire resistant Army combat uniforms in MultiCam, along with associated equipment including body armor, rucksacks, and helmet covers.

The Army's selection of MultiCam for soldiers in Afghanistan culminates phase III of a four-phase plan to thoroughly and deliberately evaluate camouflage alternatives.

The Army took action in fall 2009 to provide two battalion-size elements in Afghanistan with uniforms and associated gear in patterns other than the standard-issue universal camouflage pattern (UCP). One unit received uniforms and gear in MultiCam, and the other in a variant of UCP known as UCP - Delta.

In addition, the Army deployed a team of experts to Afghanistan in October to gather extensive data and photos on the diverse environments of Afghanistan, where soldiers often travel through multiple environments in a single mission, from snow to woodland to desert.

The Army incorporated the information gathered into a photo simulation study it then administered to nearly 750 soldiers who had deployed to Afghanistan. The study asked them to compare six patterns against eight different environments. The results, along with surveys of soldiers in the two battalions who received alternate camouflage, formed the basis for the Army’s decision on MultiCam.

The Army will now implement phase IV of its plan for camouflage, which is to evaluate long-term Army combat uniform camouflage options for all soldiers.

Camouflage alternatives represent one facet of the Army’s ongoing efforts to improve the Army combat uniform. The Army has made more than 26 improvements to the ACU since it was first fielded in June 2004.

Misanthropic_Gods
Interesting. So, does this mean the death of the ACU and ACU insignia? Collector's note?

-Ski

not for the time being, both ACU and Multicam will be issued, when you are deployed to Afghanistan, you will get a set of Multicam alongside the regular FRACU's. I think i read this in another article about it, but im not 100% on that.

The Army is evaluating taking out ACU entirely though...but who knows that the Big Green Machine will do next

not for the time being, both ACU and Multicam will be issued, when you are deployed to Afghanistan, you will get a set of Multicam alongside the regular FRACU's. I think i read this in another article about it, but im not 100% on that.

The Army is evaluating taking out ACU entirely though...but who knows that the Big Green Machine will do next

More expense to the soldier and taxpayer. Well done..... :thumbdown:

-Ski

Misanthropic_Gods

-Ski

Oops, I just looked back on my links and i guess it will just be Multicam being issued, instead of ACU. And ACU will be phased out in Afghanistan. Guess that teaches me to start running my mouth before I go back and check my facts. But thiis is still fresh info, so who knows.

Collectors, get your ACU items while you can!

-Ski

Ya, but all this un-used ACU stuff that I have collected over the years will now be worth something some day. I just broke starch on a brand new set of ACU's today, had to tear the UPC labels off them. Got the pants on and one boot when I read this article. Now I regret bringing them, I completely ruined a mint unworn uniform. :pinch:

Sure, why not, it's been a couple years since the Army designed a new camo battle uniform. I guess some senoir officer needed another cluster on his LOM or MSM. ;)

Think they might just keep this one for a while? Also wonder why they didn't adopt something like this in the first place instead of the walking clump of spinach pattern they did a handful of years ago? If they just added a couple splotches of white to the old BDU they would have had something very similar to this new one in colors.

From the picturs I've seen of this camo design, it seems to me like the upper chest pockets open the wrong way. I'm sure it's just me and there are a lot of smarter folks looking at this but it seems that having the openings outboard would make ot harder to get whatever one needs out of those pockets in a hurry.

Inboard openings would be more natural and easier to access. I wonder if anyone involved in the design of these will ever have to worry about wearing it in combat?

From the picturs I've seen of this camo design, it seems to me like the upper chest pockets open the wrong way. I'm sure it's just me and there are a lot of smarter folks looking at this but it seems that having the openings outboard would make ot harder to get whatever one needs out of those pockets in a hurry.

Inboard openings would be more natural and easier to access. I wonder if anyone involved in the design of these will ever have to worry about wearing it in combat?

Recon, the pockets are designed that way to facilitate easier access when one is wearing a plate carrier, or other body armors. IBA, IOTV, etc.. It is less difficult than reaching in across the chest, and underneath the carrier/armor.

MC is as ugly as sin but works 100%

I have seen the tests and was puzzled when ACU was picked .

Maybee back handers and nice trips to Vegas are t he reason our boys are wearing glow in the dark combat uniforms ?

Bond, whomever sent those to you, did they tell you they were military or issued? Those look like civilian purchase uniforms. If they were test, they would have a prototype or experimental tag in them so they could be identified as such.

Bond, whomever sent those to you, did they tell you they were military or issued? Those look like civilian purchase uniforms. If they were test, they would have a prototype or experimental tag in them so they could be identified as such.

From what I can tell so far, is that it is a private purchase from some unknown commercial source, I am still trying to find the manufacturer of this version. I know it is not Propper, so far...I have seen a photo or 2 of this particular version being used in Afghanistan I believe, This one was used by an Air Force fellow....I hope to be able to gain some more insight on this set shortly...I am keeping my fingers crossed, but I don't think it is an issued/trial set...and there are no markings whatsoever in the set other than the tiny L tags in both jacket & trousers.

Steven

Misanthropic_Gods
From what I can tell so far, is that it is a private purchase from some unknown commercial source, I am still trying to find the manufacturer of this version. I know it is not Propper, so far...I have seen a photo or 2 of this particular version being used in Afghanistan I believe, This one was used by an Air Force fellow....I hope to be able to gain some more insight on this set shortly...I am keeping my fingers crossed, but I don't think it is an issued/trial set...and there are no markings whatsoever in the set other than the tiny L tags in both jacket & trousers.

Steven

Hey Steven,

glad to see that you got this set, I tried to snag it as well but was late to the game. This is NOT propper, tru-spec, or Crye. Maybe you could e-mail crye with pictures and see of they know who the licensed it out to?

-Ski

Sure, why not, it's been a couple years since the Army designed a new camo battle uniform. I guess some senoir officer needed another cluster on his LOM or MSM. ;)

I like to think of it as a case where the Army realizes it screwed up and is trying to fix it to the benefit of the troops...

No, it's a china made... I already have one in a lot, and sold it immedialty because I hate this camo !

I have to agree with that, i have an ACU cut China made one i bought for $45 delivered of eBay.

You can tell the way they wash and fade to a near single color where as brands like Propper and that fade but not as agressive.

Steven,

Honestly, it probably is a commercially bought item. Since the Multicam was not an official item at the time this uniform was used, it was something an individual soldier bought for field use. There are plenty of photos of soldiers using the Multicam in the field. There are two pictures in "The Year in Special Operations 2009 Edition" (pgs. 128-131) showing the Multicam in use by USAF Spec Ops personnel. I remember a thread some place on the thread where several members were talking about seeing active servicemen buying commercial Multicams off-post. I'm sure all different makes and manufacturers were bought. Tell you what...if you ever decide to sell it, let me know. :thumbsup:

Steven,

Honestly, it probably is a commercially bought item. Since the Multicam was not an official item at the time this uniform was used, it was something an individual soldier bought for field use. There are plenty of photos of soldiers using the Multicam in the field. There are two pictures in "The Year in Special Operations 2009 Edition" (pgs. 128-131) showing the Multicam in use by USAF Spec Ops personnel. I remember a thread some place on the thread where several members were talking about seeing active servicemen buying commercial Multicams off-post. I'm sure all different makes and manufacturers were bought. Tell you what...if you ever decide to sell it, let me know. :thumbsup:

Yeah...no one is disputing that it is a commercial made item and...I was merely posting it, since the thread was on multicam being adopted for use...I figured people might be interested in seeing a used set...

Steven