13th Armored Division

disneydave

This post shows the Disney-designed insignia for the 13th Armored "Black Cat" Division.

The first image is a close-up of the design as it appears on a piece of stationary:

blog_cat_stationary.JPG

I also own several other items from this unit that feature their Disney design including a large-sized softcover book detailing the unit's training before being posted overseas, a program for a play men in the unit produced and staged while stateside, and a circa 1946 hardcover yearbook-type publication that details the unit's exploits while in Europe. There is also a unit Christmas card and a decal that feature the design.

The large softcover book has a back cover photo that shows the Commanding Officer standing beside the original art, as well as an inside story that talks about the men in the unit who thought of the design.

Here is the program:

blog_cat_program.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I have 17 lisitngs in my Disney insignia database that use the word "Armored" in the unit designation. I'll try and dig up some of my images later this week.

Click this link for a nice tank destroyer battalion design:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=6874

I'm not sure if any of these designs were authorized for wear. The C.O. of the 13th seemed quite happy with the design. A softcover history book published by the unit before they deployed overseas has a photo of the C.O. standing beside what looks to be the original art.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the image off the back of the softcover book I mentioned previously in this thread.

The publication documents the formation and training of the 13th Armored Division. The book numbers over 100 pages, has dozens of b/w photos and measures a whopping 11 x 14 inches.

The picture shows the unit's Commanding Officer, Major General John B. Wogan, standing beside the division's Disney-designed "black cat" insignia.

MG_Wogon_CO_edited.JPG

• 2 months later...

I have 2 of the 13th armoured division walt disney christmas cards from 1942.

Sandy

Here's the image off the back of the softcover book I mentioned previously in this thread.

The publication documents the formation and training of the 13th Armored Division. The book numbers over 100 pages, has dozens of b/w photos and measures a whopping 11 x 14 inches.

The picture shows the unit's Commanding Officer, Major General John B. Wogan, standing beside the division's Disney-designed "black cat" insignia.

post-524-1186731524.jpg

There are two different versions of the card. One shows an illustration of the cat with a Santa cap on his head and red bow tied on his tail, while the other shows the complete insignia design including the ladder, broken mirror, open umbrella etc.

The one I have with the cat and the Santa cap was given to me by a person whose father was in the unit. Needless to say I was very taken by her generousity.

Send me a pm if you want to part with yours.

Boy, that’s really neat. I don’t recall seeing this particular design before. I also have not seen a period photograph of an armored soldier wearing a Disney patch. If anyone is aware of a period photograph of an armored soldier wearing one of these patches I would enjoy hearing about it.

Thanks for posting this Dave. I would also enjoy seeing other armored designs.

Brent

Thanks Brent.

If you check out the Walt Disney Goes to War sub forum you'll find listings for about 6 Tank Destoyer battalions and one more armored division.

Cheers.

David

• 4 years later...

Just found this old topic and thought it would be ok to post my 13th AD items here ...

Christmas card

13ADChristmascard.jpg

Black Cat Revue

13ADBlackCatRevue.jpg

13ADBlackCatRevue1.jpg

Erwin

• 1 year later...

Here's the other Christmas card I mentioned previously that is in my collection. They've used the image of the black cat from the original Disney design. I believe this Christmas card is the rarer of the two.

13edit1.JPG

• 1 month later...