Henri-Chapelle & Neuville Cemeteries

Jeeper704

A short report of my visit to the American Military Cemeteries of Henri-Chapelle and Neuville-en-Condroz on June 27, 2008.

Henri-Chapelle was the first one I visited that day. The Cemetery actually is located in Hombourg. Back in 1945, when the Cemetery was established in the area, the officer in charge dropped by into the nearest village to get its name. He didn't know he was in the wrong village .... Henri-Chapelle.

The Mayor of Hombourg tried later to rename the Cemetery, but to no avail.

Henri-Chapelle Cemetery is located on a height overlooking a beautiful valley.

Henri-Chapelle2706200818.jpg

The entrance is kind of impressive. Massive columns topped by American eagles mark both entrances.

Henri-Chapelle2706200817.jpg

When you enter the Cemetery and walk past the "Wall of Missing" and the visitor's center, you get a view over the 7 000 + graves of GIs who died for the Liberation of Europe.

Henri-Chapelle27062008.jpg

Homan K Jackson is the first grave I adopted.

He was in the 53rd Armored Infantry Battalion - 4th Armored Division as a Staff Sergeant.

When the 4th Armored launched an assault to widen the newly created Bastogne corridor (thus ending the German encirclement of Bastogne during the Battel of the Bulge) on December 30, 1944, Staff Sgt. Jackson was KIA when his unit encountered the battered remnants of the infamous 1st SS Panzer Divison "Leibstandarte AH" brought up from the northen shoulder of "The Bulge".

Henri-Chapelle2706200815.jpg

Leslie C Banaka was a 36-year-old Pfc in the 602nd Tank Destroyer Battalion when, on Febraury 21, 1945, his M-18 (a Tank Destroyer) hit a German Tellermine near Huldange in Luxembourg. The entire crew was killed by the explosion.

His brother Samuel already was KIA on July 12, 1944 probably near La-Haye-du-Puits in Normandy when his unit - the 313th Regiment of the 79th Infantry Division fought bitterly for Hill 84 against elements of yet another infamous SS unit; the 2nd SS Panzer Division "Das Reich".

Leslie's name appeared in a 1939-dated German pocket book carried by Robert Baldwin also of the 602nd Tank Destroyer Battalion. I found this booklet on eBay together with photos, a Tank Destroyer patch and ome additional documents of Robert Baldwin.

Big was my surprise when I even found a photo of Leslie Banaka AND of his brother Samuel on the Internet.

Leslie Banaka had three other brothers serving with the Armed Forces; Kenneth in the ETO, Harold in the Pacific and Walter in the United States Navy.

Henri-Chapelle2706200815.jpg

Leslie Banaka

BanakaLeslie.jpg

His name plus those of his crew in Baldwin's notebook.

LeslieBanakain1939notebook.jpg

Samuel Banaka

BanakaSamuel.jpg

Erwin

The American Military Cemetery of Neuville-en-Condroz, also know as the Ardennes American Military Cemetery is located on a busy road (the N63) near Neupré (southwest of Liège).

Here, more than 6 000+ American soldiers have found their final resting place.

Among them, a lot of Air Force men (bomber crew, fighter pilots).

The Chapel is very beautiful and is put in the center of the Cemetery grounds.

Neuville27062008.jpg

Neuville2706200810.jpg

The inside; one of the huge panels explaining the movements of the US Army in the ETO.

Here, the Battle of the Bulge.

Neuville2706200814.jpg

Detail of the very well done carvings of marble plates.

Neuville2706200816.jpg

Also a small reminder of the blackest day in recent times: 9/11

Neuville2706200818.jpg

I took the opportunity to visit the graves of the 6 American soldiers; Glider Pilot and five 101st Airborne Signal Companymen who were KIA on September 17, 1944 when their glider crashed not far from where I currently live (see my topic "Glider Monument").

It is shocking realizing that I - being 36 at the moment - had 80% chance of being among those white crosses if I would have lived in those times ......... without even reaching 25 years of age!

Let's never forget the sacrifices made by these young men!

Hopefully, this topic is a little of interest to you.

Erwin

The American Military Cemetery of Neuville-en-Condroz, also know as the Ardennes American Military Cemetery is located on a busy road (the N63) near Neupré (southwest of Liège).

Here, more than 6 000+ American soldiers have found their final resting place.

Among them, a lot of Air Force men (bomber crew, fighter pilots).

The Chapel is very beautiful and is put in the center of the Cemetery grounds.

Neuville27062008.jpg

Neuville2706200810.jpg

The inside; one of the huge panels explaining the movements of the US Army in the ETO.

Here, the Battle of the Bulge.

Neuville2706200814.jpg

Detail of the very well done carvings of marble plates.

Neuville2706200816.jpg

Also a small reminder of the blackest day in recent times: 9/11

Neuville2706200818.jpg

I took the opportunity to visit the graves of the 6 American soldiers; Glider Pilot and five 101st Airborne Signal Companymen who were KIA on September 17, 1944 when their glider crashed not far from where I currently live (see my topic "Glider Monument").

It is shocking realizing that I - being 36 at the moment - had 80% chance of being among those white crosses if I would have lived in those times ......... without even reaching 25 years of age!

Let's never forget the sacrifices made by these young men!

Hopefully, this topic is a little of interest to you.

Erwin

Great posting, Erwin. Thank you!

Bob

Erwin,

Thanks for posting this. It's even better than you described. That Chapel is very impressive.

Again, thanks. thumbsup.gif

Jim and Bob,

Thanks for showing interest.

Since I adopted those graves, it gives me more reason to visit those places and put some flowers on these men's graves.

I saw a WWII Veteran visiting his buddy's grave at Neuville Cemetery.

Even after 63 years, tears were still running.

I respectfully kept my distance and only said a friendly "hello".

Erwin

I accidentally posted Homan Jackson's grave twice.

This is the grave of Leslie Banaka.

Sorry,

Erwin

Henri-Chapelle270620084.jpg

General Apathy

Hi Erwin, Thanks for posting the haunting images of the cemeteries, and the individual headstones of the men that you have adopted.

My admiration goes out to you for partaking in this act of remembrance of these men.

Cheers ( Lewis )

p.s. Bob Hope is just on the radio singing a classic 1940's song ' Thanks for the Memory's '

Thanks very much.

I think it is necessary to do this so the memory doesn't get forgotten.

And it is only a very small thing to do.

I did hear that the new Superintendent of Henri-Chapelle is thinknig of not issueing certificates anymore. :blink: I hope he changes his mind though.

Since you are going to live in France, it is not really that far to visit those places.

And you can stop by for a cold Belgian beer any time (watch for the dog though). :lol:

Erwin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Yesterday - 27.09.2008 - I went to visit the Neuville and Henri-Chapelle US Military Cemeteries again.

This time, I had brought with me flowers to put on the two graves I adopted.

I also looked up the graves of airmen (in Neuville) and a GI of the 1st ID (Henri-Chapelle) for friends at the USMF here.

The Superintendent of Henri-Chapelle was very helpful and provided me with vases and the US and Belgian flags.

Leslie Banaka - 602nd TD Bn.

LeslieBanaka602TD1.jpg

Homan Jackson - 4th Armored Division.

HomanJackson4AD.jpg

It was a very sunny and clear day.

They were playing appropriate music making the whole setting very peaceful and impressive at the same time.

I'm going to make it a yearly visit (at least) from now on.

Hopefully soon I'll be there with my Fiancée as she appears to have a genuine interest in what I do.

Erwin