Cast EGA on 1929 Pattern EM Cap

Alec

Although the EGA looks OK from the front view it seems very flat without definitive detail and the back clearly shows it being cast. I know the cap is legit because no one is making fake 1929 pattern caps. I picked the item up at auction for nothing ($90) from our old friend "Devil Dan" who was upset after the auction ended because he did not get what he hoped for it. He wanted to back out of the auction and then recinded on his backout, but tried to sell me the rest of the uniform for way more than it was worth- of course I passed on the uniform.

Of course since this comes from an unreliable and convicted historical thief anything goes, but he said he got the grouping from AGM several years ago.

Does anyone know of China Marines having EGAs being made in a cast manner? I don't collect EGAs so this not being legit is not an issue with me. The cap is all I really wanted to get.

post-7194-1266556150.jpg

post-7194-1266556160.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Hi Alec - no need for concern, yours is a perfectly legit issued M1930 dress cover emblem. It appears to have proudly worn and polished by the owner, the wear is clearly consistent with the practice of using jeweler's rouge, in that era. I am attaching the photo's of Gary Morlang (GLM) from the reference section. During his time collecting EGA's he acquired this cover emblem - directly - from the vet, and the rest of his USMC memorabilia. s/f Darrell

post_84_1189974909.jpg

post_84_1189974927.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Alec - that is the proverbial 64 million dollar question? Our only way to know will be an inspection of the QM records of that era to determine who the contract was issued to for manufacture of these issue emblems. Keeping in mind this was the depression era - the unknown maker certainly did not make this emblem to the standards of quality of those before or after, still a good looking emblem that rec'd allot of polishing over its service life. s/f Darrell