Perhaps WW2's rarest cav patch on ebay sold for $713

mortaydc60

Hi, Mort,

Yes, it was listed as a 112th Cav patch, and I recall that it went for around $6-700. Haven't a clue about the reason for the red shield. Don't know if the 112th was a fully organized RCT with an attached FA battalion, which would be my best guess. The black bend behind the shield is also curious. Stanton's book says that the 112th was attached to the 1st Cav Div on Leyte in Nov 1944, that it landed at Lingayen Gulf on the same day as the 5th, 7th, 8th, and 12th Cav Rgts, and arrived in Japan the day after these 1st Cav Div regts arrived in Sept 1945. Maybe that's the connection.

I'm shocked that you don't have this one. Between you and the Johnsons, I thought you'd sewed up the market!

Bob

Hi Bob,

I think your analysis is right concerning !st Cav and to boost belief look at Patch johnsons uniform with the 112RCT and Ist Cav on other shoulder. No need to be shocked I posted the first with the scroll "raring to go". Have another that is very different from the others shown in that it is fully embroided and will post now. This should give forum members a good idea of what to look for;and expect differences. Mortpost-565-1267212636.jpg

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old post but would like to add, Great looking patches.Question, which example is the rarest.I'm assuming the original thread one that sold on eBay.

Sorry, I meant which variation is the rarest and are the all about the same price range?

That's an easy question to answer; the two that I have! Really not easy to answer and the prices have been all over the place from 200 to 700. To me one of the nicest is the example Patch Johnson has on the uniform with the motto and unit number. As Bob said they are all rare, and if you find one just buy it! The $2.00 patch will always be that price. You never know when you will see it again. Just my advice for what it's worth. Mort

P.S. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

That's an easy question to answer; the two that I have! Really not easy to answer and the prices have been all over the place from 200 to 700. To me one of the nicest is the example Patch Johnson has on the uniform with the motto and unit number. As Bob said they are all rare, and if you find one just buy it! The $2.00 patch will always be that price. You never know when you will see it again. Just my advice for what it's worth. Mort

P.S. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Thank you Mort.Happy New Years to you too.

• 9 years later...

I see this is an older thread but I've only just come across it. Here is my example as well as a photo of it in the hands of the vet who had it made. He was a member of the 1st Cav. Band and brought back numerous photos with 112th insignia on drums and on uniforms.

20220122_155837.jpg

20220122_155759.jpg

20220122_155731.jpg

20220122_235216.jpg

20220122_235232.jpg

Excellent addition to this thread. Love the 1946 photo! WOW! Just a fine uniform! Everybody mentions how rare the patch is, and several variations have been posted, but only two are still on the original uniforms!

Thanks for posting this.

BKW

• 1 year later...