USMC WWII Shelter

Guest Alaskan Scout

$39.95 for a slightly stiff is not a bad deal actually. What amazes me is their price for the Navy ones and the USMC ones in better condition:

ponchousmscheap.jpg

ponchousn.jpg

ponchousms.jpg

Guest Alaskan Scout

That also played into throwing me off.....This is why i figured they were gonna send you something w/ serious damage or stains or both seeing how they want so much for the good ones....

Thanks for the reply

Christoph.

That also played into throwing me off.....This is why i figured they were gonna send you something w/ serious damage or stains or both seeing how they want so much for the good ones....

Thanks for the reply

Christoph.

I've sold a lot of both Navy and USMC WWII ponchos (identical except for the stamped label) and I have to say that even stiff ones work just fine for display.

The description says small stains or tears, for $40 that should not be a problem. A mint one would look out of place in a display anyway. :thumbsup:

Scout

I have not done business with them.I can tell you that the stiff ponchos will not soften in the sun.If you hit them with water or soak them they will become soft but when they dry out they return stiff condition.I have heard that fabric softener will make them pliable but havent tried this.I have a USN marked one with a couple small tears that is very soft.I use it as a table cover at shows when I set up.I may sell or trade it.

RON

Guest Alaskan Scout

Thanks Ron...Is this "stiff" the start of dry rot?

I ask becuase i may use these here in Alaska..I can make do w/ just about anything but rot isnt gonna work... :evilgrin:

LOL

Thanks Ron...Is this "stiff" the start of dry rot?

I ask becuase i may use these here in Alaska..I can make do w/ just about anything but rot isnt gonna work... :evilgrin:

LOL

The ones I have had over the years were solid.One in fact was very bright in color and I would say mint,just stiff.I dont think its really a rot or dry rot.More of a reaction to the rubberized material.The first two I ever had were found in a cabinet in a garge here locally.I assume that the combo of heat and cold over the years caused the stiffness of the material.Seen ones from attics that were the same.The ones I have seen that were shredding were stored in a damp or wet area.Have seen some that looked like battery acid got to them too.

RON

I understand that ethylene glycol is a good preservative/softener for synthetic goods like Ponchos and Raincoats. I've never tried it because all my rain gear is in great shape- have any of you guys? :think:

I understand that ethylene glycol is a good preservative/softener for synthetic goods like Ponchos and Raincoats. I've never tried it because all my rain gear is in great shape- have any of you guys? :think:

Flage

never tried it but do I soak ot in anti-freeze :lol:

RD

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo
:hapy0004:

Touche!!!!!

Is this the place in Petaluma, California?

That place is awesome. They have just about everything for the collector. Prices can get high but cheaper than an antique store.

Rock

Is this the place in Petaluma, California?

That place is awesome. They have just about everything for the collector. Prices can get high but cheaper than an antique store.

Rock

Yeah, they are pretty well-reputed. I bought a 1-Piece Jungle Suit from them that had been cut down into a jacket, almost like new, at a decent price. Seemed like straightforward folks to me, who make an effort to be honest.