1910 Garrison Belt

bheskett

Looks nice to me, and a good price too.

But what does "H" stand for? Collectors have been wondering for years. Does anyone have a definitive answer?

G

Looks nice to me, and a good price too.

But what does "H" stand for? Collectors have been wondering for years. Does anyone have a definitive answer?

G

Heskett :)

to my understanding it means headquarters.

That is the prevailing theory. But exhaustive searches at National Archives and Carlisle have yet to turn up anything official on this particular belt.

I have heard the following collector theories with respect to this belt:

- Headquarters (leading theory): makes the most "sense" as the capitol H was used as a Headquarters Insignia.

- Haiti (Gendarmerie d'Haiti enlisted troops): There was a Phillipine Constabulary (P.C.) version of this belt. The GdH was a similar organization, during a similar time frame (similar belt???)

- Hospital: Why would a hospital need garrison belts? Although this theory is not too implausible as these don't seem to ever show up with the clip pouches or bayonet hanging attachment. Hospital Corps men were not armed so???

- Hawaii: Hawaii had a very active state guard, and during the period was also sovereign state. Did the government of Hawaii order these for their "Hawaiian Federal" troops?

- Some military school that starts with an "H" While there were a few "H" schools, none of the really big ones started with that letter. These belts are seen often enough that if they were from a school, we should be able to research that.

- Home Guard: Generic Home Guard plate marketed by Mills to the various Public Safety Committees, Home Guards, and Militias that sprang up during the war? I've never seen a reference to this belt in either a Mills catalog or a Bannerman's catalog???

Regardless, this is a scarce variation of this belt. Far scarcer than the US, and even scarcer than the Officer's version. Some day, the official designation of this belt will come to light, and IMHO, the price of these will skyrocket!

All,

I have one of these that is unit marked (really faint) on the inside. To add onto what cwnorma says above, and based on the markings I believe that:

A. They were Army issue

B. They were company property based on the one that I have that was marked. Pretty small control group, but it's the only one I have. The other that I have isn't marked.

Over the years, the HQ and Hospital theories seem to hold the most water to me. The answer may come by ID'ing the marked ones and seeing what sort of pattern (if any) emerges. The answer has to be buried somewhere, afterall, the Army does nothing without a regulation or a FM.

I wonder if the Mills contract orders are stored located anywhere? That might help shed some light on this. Either way they are much more uncommon than the US EM or officer belts.

John

John

Thanks you all for the replies and comments. Another mystery to unravel. The best part was when I told my wife she didn't flip out:)

Bob

I've owned one of these belts for years, and always accepted the HQ theory. But since this post was started, I'm leaning towards the Hawaii theory. Since the more common belt's buckle has US on it, meaning United States, it just makes sense that the H would stand for Hawaii. If it was for a military school, we'd see other letters besides the H buckle.

A google search under "us army hawaii 1910" shows that the Hawaiian Department was formed in 1910. Coincidence? The H buckle is reminiscent of the PC buckles used by the Philippian Constabalry forces on thier belts.