Subdued sleeve rank

Pack Rat

Hey gang,

I just came across some subdued sleeve rank and wondered what the size meant.

Is it a male female thing and if so what time frame were they worn?

post-5589-0-27072300-1400858452.jpg

Thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers,

-D

craig_pickrall

The large chevron on the left looks like the type used in Vietnam. There are several color combo's on these chevrons but all are a black chevron on variable shades of a green field.

The smaller chevron to the right is an unknown to who actually used it. There is a merrowed edge which came into use after the subdued arm chevron had been dropped from use. It is a female size chevron but some police departments use these smaller size chevrons too. The first time I saw these with the merrowed edge was in the late 80's or early 90's. They also exist in the 3" size which is the standard male Army chevron.

El Bibliotecario

I'd be curious to know what the timeframe was for subdued chevrons. I know that in mid 1966 colored chevrons were still used, but by 1971 pin-on subdued collar cheverons were standard army wide. Or, were the subdued sleeve stripes a theater-peculiar thing?

El Bibliotecario
June of 66 is when subdued rank was authorized in the Army.

...which was the month I was discharged. Glad I managed to avoid a lot of sewing. Thanks for the info.

In June, 1965, I was stationed in Germany and a local taylor was making subdued name tags, U.S.Army tags and rank insignia. Many GIs wore them.

El Bibliotecario
In June, 1965, I was stationed in Germany and a local taylor was making subdued name tags, U.S.Army tags and rank insignia. Many GIs wore them.

Thats really interesting. I was in Germany from mid '64 to mid '66 during which time I saw no subdued insigina whatsoever. This makes me wonder if, before subdued insignia became army standard, it was first a local policy in certain commands.