Studio photo of a Marine 23 miles south of Chosin Reservoir (of all places) !

kfields

You never know what your going to find when your out and about.

I was visiting my dad on the family farm in rural Northwest Illinois this past weekend and stopped at a small bar/country store out in the country. Took a "facilities" break and sat down to sip a beer. Bottle only, nothing on tap.

There are always interesting things hung on the wall behind the bar and as my eyes got used to the lighting, I noticed a photo of a Marine in fatigues holding a carbine.

I talked to the bar owner and turns out his dad was with the 1st Marine Division in Korea as a 19 year old and endured the worst battles of Korea. As we talked, his dad came out of the back and he proceeded to tell me all about the picture.

He said he got to Korea early, about July (I believe he said he was with the 5th Marines). He was at Inchon, helpeded shatter the North Korean army and then headed north to the Yalu (?) river. He said he was in a small town in North Korea ("Hamhungh" spelling?) about 23 miles south of the Chosin Reservoir and there was a small local photo studio in the town. He said he and his buddies were all thinking the war was over and might be home by Christmas! He had is picture taken at the studio in November 1950.

The Chinese invaded a short time later and the Army and Marines were in the fight of their life in December at Chosin!

Anyway. I thought the photo was extremely cool.

With all the discussion involved that allowed me to take his photo out of the bar and make a copy for me at a store 10 miles away, I totally forgot to ask him permission to use his name which is why I won't say at this point.

Thanks for looking!

Kim

post-60-1266241119.jpg

Thanks Boggee. It looks to me like the exposed magazine (below) is full of bullets!

Here's a second photo of Marv taken after he returned to the States.

As he was talking, he mentioned that the 7th Marines came over after he was wounded "the first time". Made me wonder how many times he had been wounded but I didn't want to interupt him to ask. Is that a purple heart ribbon in the second row?

Thanks!

Kim

post-60-1266246482.jpg

post-60-1266246506.jpg

I second what Bobgee said. Great story and photo.Be sure thank him for his service from the forum members.These guys through went hell and were mostly forgotten. Mark

I second what Bobgee said. Great story and photo.Be sure thank him for his service from the forum members.These guys through went hell and were mostly forgotten. Mark

Ditto. Great photos!

Pete

Thanks ccandgc!

I want to make sure I document the Marines photo as best I can so it helps to have the right spelling.

Marv said he had the Korean phrase on the bottom of the photo translated as meaning " My friend ".

Kim

Here's a second photo of Marv taken after he returned to the States.

As he was talking, he mentioned that the 7th Marines came over after he was wounded "the first time". Made me wonder how many times he had been wounded but I didn't want to interupt him to ask. Is that a purple heart ribbon in the second row?

Thanks!

Kim

Looks like a Navy Unit Commendation with a star for a second award to me.