Info. Req: What type of uniform would family member have worn?

Guest Onaway417

Guest Onaway417

Hello.

I have been checking this forum out for a while and decided to join in.

I have a WWI uniform question: My great-grandfather was in the quartermaster corp in the Great War. He was involved with cooks and bakers. I have no info on him other than he was a sergeant.

Here is the question: Would he have been attached to a unit, or is the quartermasters their own deal?

What kind of uniform would he have worn and what kind of insignia would he have worn?

I want to put together a uniform and need info.

Hello.

I have a WWI uniform question: My great-grandfather was in the quartermaster corp in the Great War. He was involved with cooks and bakers. I have no info on him other than he was a sergeant.

Here is the question: Would he have been attached to a unit, or is the quartermasters their own deal?

What kind of uniform would he have worn and what kind of insignia would he have worn?

Before you go too far, the first thing you should do would be to learn more about your grandfather. Are there any photos anywhere in the family? Are there any documants proving that he was a sergrant in the QMC? The reason I ask is that there would have been a supply sergeant in all types of units.

It MAY be possible to locate a copy oif his discharge papers. He was SUPPOSED to register them with the county recorder when he came home. The local veteran's affairs folks in that county should be able to help. Onc you have that info, you should be able to go further.

Several stated collected and published info n their vets after the war. Ohio was one. Perhaps the American Legion or VFW in HIS hometown may be able to help too.

WW1 draft cards are available and online, I think. That won't tell much, but everything helps.

Once his unit is ID'd, we can go from there. Do you know if he went overseas?

Guest Onaway417

Thanks for the reply.

I do have a photo, but all he is wearing is a shirt, tie (if I remember correctly,) breeches, shoes, and putteees or leggings, and a campaign hat. No Insignia at all.

I can supply a copy if need be.

He did go overseas. As for his discharge, I am in the process of sending out letters to counties that he may have lived in after the war. He lived in Texas, so that's where I am starting.

As for being a sergeant, his grandson is the one who did the research for our genealogy, and apparently got the info from great-grandpa.

I am also going to send a form 180 to the NPRC and see what they can turn up. I know with the infamous fire, and all, it is a slim chance, but the price of a stamp will be worth the risk.

Thanks for the reply.

I do have a photo, but all he is wearing is a shirt, tie (if I remember correctly,) breeches, shoes, and putteees or leggings, and a campaign hat. No Insignia at all.

I can supply a copy if need be.

He did go overseas. As for his discharge, I am in the process of sending out letters to counties that he may have lived in after the war. He lived in Texas, so that's where I am starting.

As for being a sergeant, his grandson is the one who did the research for our genealogy, and apparently got the info from great-grandpa.

I am also going to send a form 180 to the NPRC and see what they can turn up. I know with the infamous fire, and all, it is a slim chance, but the price of a stamp will be worth the risk.

Good luck -- this may take some time.

I was lucky with my (step) grandfather. I had a copy of his discharge and a photo -- similar to yours. I wrote the Army AG's office to determine what "CAC" stood for on the discharge -- it is Coast Artillery Corps. The AG also determined that he had never gotten his victory medal, so they sent it. I then reconstructed his insignia and framed it with his photo.

Google "64th Coast Artillery" and scroll down to Pvt Joseph E. McCrone, Company E, and you will see what I posted. It was a worthwhile effort.

Two other sources that you can try. The federal Department of Veteran Affairs may have copies of his records if he applied for benefits. Contact the Regional office in your area (they have a national database). You can find the your local R.O. at www.va.gov.

Also once you figure out where he was from (you may find in the 1910, 1920 or 1930 census) contact the STATE Department of Veteran Affairs. He may have applied for benefits from the state. My Grandfather applied for benefits from the state of Minnesota after WWI. They had several pages that they sent to me which included his statement of service.

If you provide his name here, some of our members will probably be willing to give you some assistance. Good Luck!

Hello.

Welcome to the board!

Just to give you a basic idea as to what your Great-grandfather's uniform would look like, here is the uniform for a Sergeant First Class in the Quartermaster Corps, 88th Division:

post-594-1183328862.jpg

A Sergeant's rank insignia would have been similar; three chevrons, point up, minus the rocker beneath, worn on the right arm midway between elbow and shoulder. During most of WW1, chevrons were worn on the right sleeve only

Chevrons made pre May-1918 would have the insignia of the Quartermaster Corps embroidered in the area beneath the apex of the chevrons

Collar disks would most likely have been "US" on the right side, and "Quartermaster Corps" on the left.

For each six months spent in the "Zone of Operations" each soldier was entitled to wear a gold chevron on the lower left cuff of his uniform. Thus, in this case, two chevrons equals more than 12 months but less than 18.

When a soldier was honorably discharged, he would wear a single red chevron, point up mid-way between the elbow and the shoulder on the left arm to indicate his status as a dicharged soldier.

These are the basics of a WW1 uniform, and there are many permutations but depending on what you find out, there are more than enough folks here who can help you put together a uniform to honor your Great-grandfather.

Chris