Vietnam era F-8 mannequin

cricket

I put this mannequin together today and thought I would run it by you guys. It's been a while since I've been on the forum and just recently, within the last week or so, started checking out the aviation posts. (thanks for the help on the Z-3 questions) I love the 50's-70's era US stuff, especially Navy. Let me know what you guys think about this. I'm going for a mid to late 60's F-8 pilot. Tell me what you think.

post-598-1266039726.jpg

post-598-1266039772.jpg

Hi

Very nice display, I feel less alone collecting USN Aviation gears from this area !!

Wich year do you intend to show ? 66 ?

Best

Croc

P.S., it seems that brown flight boots are difficult to locate !

Thanks for the replies, I hadn't nailed it down to a specific year... I was just going for a late 60's vibe. Yes I would like to have used the brown boots but I don't have any. I thought about using a pair of brown 50's era jump boots I have in my closet but settled on the ones you see (dated 68).

Smokey keep your eyes peeled, those regs don't show up that often but once in a while you get lucky.

Cricket,

Your display seems to be great. Bigger and detailed photos would be welcome! :thumbsup:
I love also 50/60's US flight stuffs. You can see below some links to different posts on this forum about this thema.

Are Croc and me the only two french collectors of these period flight gears? Perhaps... Croc is very high specialized in the 60's. For my part I try to learn a lot of things about the 50/s!

Franck

post-5589-0-16582500-1406827872.jpg

Hi Cricket,

I'm back with a few informations about your F8 pilot.

The two piece camo utilities are very nice, they were mostly used during 1966 and decline during 1967 to desappear when crews received more than one Nomex suit per man by 1967. I found some aboard USS Oriskany :

VF 111 1966, VF 162 1966 and 67, VAW11 Det G 1966, VA 163 1966.

I or found some in VF 21 during 1967 cruise.

post-1289-1266240834.jpg

this 1966 view is from VF111 Ready room, you can see, camo utilities, USAF K2B !! and USN Nomex coveralls

The dual visor APH5 helmet is rare in F8 squadrons, usually you find single visor APH5, APH6 or APH6A helmets. I'm not sure that the mini oxygen reg Robertshaw 226-20004-3 was used in mid 60s in F8.

This mini reg was for F4 I think and may be for RA5C.

I enclose you a view of the F4 manual about this subject.

post-1289-1266240641.jpg

I presume that the survival is a SV2 ? SV2 were approved in march 13th 1967 and reached the fleet during summer 1967. I located the oldest reference in the VA 25 Command chronology.

I enclose you a view of my brown leather flight boots

post-1289-1266240695.jpg

Best Croc

Croc,

The regulator is the Firewel F-1732. I'm not sure if the redar hose is correct, I'm going to replace it with one that may be more appropriate. The SV is 100% rigger made. It's much smaller than a SV-2 or a SV-1. I have a set of the two piece camo but the one on the mannequin is actually a one piece coverall... I'd love to get a pair of the brown navy boots to add to him. (thanks for the pics)

Franck,

I'm still trying to figure out the the whole adding a picture thing. Everytime I tried to add the pics it told me they were too big...

Very nice,

I never seen such one piece camo suit, and on photos it's difficult to identify with all the equipment, I have the USMC regular one but it's different.

Your PR survival was made using SL1 leggings ? I have one like this, used in USMC F4 squadron.

Best

Croc

Franck,
I'm still trying to figure out the the whole adding a picture thing. Everytime I tried to add the pics it told me they were too big...

Cricket,
You could try to resize your photos before sending on forum. Do you stock them on an online website like Image Shack? So you can simply paste the link to the photo in your message or by using the image button above the message window.
Franck

No I don't use imagshack or anything similar. I tried the resize thing and that's how I ended up with the ones you see. I'll get it strait eventually.

Croc, Sorry I didn't reply sooner... the vest is totally rigger made with the exception of the shoulder strap, it looks like it came off of an SV-1.

• 9 months later...
No I don't use imagshack or anything similar. I tried the resize thing and that's how I ended up with the ones you see. I'll get it strait eventually.

Croc, Sorry I didn't reply sooner... the vest is totally rigger made with the exception of the shoulder strap, it looks like it came off of an SV-1.

Try www.shrinkpicture.com It works great for resizing for this forum. And it is very easy to use.