LEGION of MERIT--Showcase

Jack's Son

Dave-

Thanks for posting the better view of the document and providing all that extra info. I looked through a WW2 84th Division Unit History that I have. See below. After meeting up with the Russians, all types of ceremonies, etc were held. The last sentance makes reference to 60 decorations being exchanged. I feel certain that the captain was presented with the medal and citation in person. No doubt he folded up the citation and put it in his pocket (based on the folds).

Kurt

post-322-1266263213.jpg

Better shots of the sterling LOM.

post-322-1266263337.jpgpost-322-1266263508.jpg

More LOM's, only one is named. I was told "Hooker" also won a Silver Star but haven't done any research yet. Dexter

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

Thank you, Dexter.

Is Hooker's the LoM with the V devise?

Gentlemen,

It always seems that these WWII Navy & Marine Corps LOM's have a shorter drape than their US Army counterparts. Also... The WWII era USN/USMC have a considerably smaller jump ring than their US Army Counterparts. I believe that these were a US Mint contract.

There have been quite a few documented WWII US Army contract LOM's that were also awarded to USN & USMC personnel.

I own a WWII USN/USMC LOM with a split brooch, rather than the full wrap brooch. I was thinking that could be a BB&B contract for the USN/USMC? Any thoughts?

I will post some pics.

Here is a WWII era USN/USMC LOM group that just sold on Ebay for $382.00. It looks to be a WWII USN/USMC Bronze Star. I found it to be puzzling that there was no WWII era Campaign Medal in the group. Even if it were a top set, it should still contain either the Pacfic or European Theatre Campaign Medal(s). Note the shorter drape and the small jump ring that is specific to WWII USN/USMC LOM's.

post-8847-1266559065.jpg

post-8847-1266559074.jpg

Gentlemen,

It always seems that these WWII Navy & Marine Corps LOM's have a shorter drape than their US Army counterparts. Also... The WWII era USN/USMC have a considerably smaller jump ring than their US Army Counterparts. I believe that these were a US Mint contract.

There have been quite a few documented WWII US Army contract LOM's that were also awarded to USN & USMC personnel.

I own a WWII USN/USMC LOM with a split brooch, rather than the full wrap brooch. I was thinking that could be a BB&B contract for the USN/USMC? Any thoughts?

I will post some pics.

Here's an example of a Navy-awarded LOM in the typical short, titled Navy case with ribbon bar and lapel bar still in the glassine envelope. It has a gilt full-wrap broach, the small jump ring and short suspension ribbon typical of Navy LOMs. The paper tag identifies the recipient, Surgeon-Lt. Augustus (sic!, should be Augustin without the "e") P. Curtin, Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve. It was presented to him at the US embassy in London in 1946. The US Navy captain's small rank insignia may have been a souvenir from a member of the attache's staff. The eagle was originally pinned to suspension ribbon.

post-920-1267032173.jpg

Curtin earned it the extremely hard way as the POW camp medical officer at Kawasaki, Japan, 1942-45. He was captured by a German surface raider while a passsenger on a civilian steamer to Ceylon from Australia where he had visited his uncle, the Australian wartime PM, John Curtin. Among the prisoners at Kawasaki were several Americans (Army, Navy and Marine) as well Dutch, Javanese, Gurkhas, and even several Italian Marines from the consulate guard at Shanghai who were incarcerated after Italy left the Axis in 1943. Ironically, Curtin was required to treat the camp guards because their own staff was so incompetant.

Also of interest is his miniature medal bar.

post-920-1267032201.jpg

The LOM pendant is British-made and an absolute stunner, pierced-out arrows, very sharp details and enamel. It's uniface and slightly vaulted. Although the US Navy representation in the camp was very small (one Lieutenant, jg, and one Ensign, both CEC, captured on Guam), the decision must have been that it would be more appropriate for the US Navy to present it since Curtin was a naval officer. It was well deserved.

The LOM pendant is British-made and an absolute stunner, pierced-out arrows, very sharp details and enamel. It's uniface and slightly vaulted. Although the US Navy representation in the camp was very small (one Lieutenant, jg, and one Ensign, both CEC, captured on Guam), the decision must have been that it would be more appropriate for the US Navy to present it since Curtin was a naval officer. It was well deserved.

Fantastic group! The mini medal bar is just super...can you post a pic of the engraving on the LOM?

Dave-

Thanks for posting the better view of the document and providing all that extra info. I looked through a WW2 84th Division Unit History that I have. See below. After meeting up with the Russians, all types of ceremonies, etc were held. The last sentance makes reference to 60 decorations being exchanged. I feel certain that the captain was presented with the medal and citation in person. No doubt he folded up the citation and put it in his pocket (based on the folds).

Kurt

I just got in the good Captain's award card from the archives!

He was Ukrainian, born in 1915 and joined the Red Army in 1936. Interestingly, he was still a Captain in 1948...talk about stalled promotion!

He was awarded the Order of the Patriotic War 2nd Class number 269716 on 17 August 1944 and Patriotic War 1st Class number 163068 on 24 March 1945. My guess is that the latter award was one earned on the outskirts of Berlin. He was credited with the medals "Liberation of Warsaw", "Capture of Berlin", and "For Victory Over Germany". He was awarded the medal For Military Merit for 10 years of unblemished service in April of 1947 and the Order of the Red Star in November 1951 for 15 years of service. It appears that he just missed the cut off for his 20-year Red Banner, or he got out...looks like he might have had some issues with making rank.

I should have his service card tomorrow and hopefully it will have a photo of him and more granularity as far as details of his service!

Dave

And here's Captain Nochnoy's photo!

I apologize for the watermarks. However, I paid quite a bit for this photo and these are very commonly stolen without credit.

Although the ribbon on his LOM is longer, from the pics, I believe Kurt's LOM is the same, as it appears that the ribbon was shortened.

AWESOME!

Dave

NochnoyPhoto.jpg

A few tidbits from his service history...he was married and had one daughter...he was promoted to Major in 1950, and retired from the Army in January 1956 (20 years total service). He was not wounded during the War, and interestingly enough, he was in combat units for almost his entire career from commissioning in January 1939 onwards, only having one short stint in a service school in 1950 (rather unusual, actually).

Fascinating fellow - and it looks like that WAS his actual LOM!!!!!

Dave

Almost complete.

The cased commander is a Balfour. The commander on the display is a 1960s piece. The Chief Commanders are a 60s piece and the 12c marked. The officer I believe to be 60s or 70s, more likely 70s

post-114-1267155859.jpg

Here are 2 miniature medals of the LOM

I can only show this photos I made some years ago. After moving to a new apartement I can´t find this miniatures. Searching the apartement up and down three times but can´t find the items. There also was a MOH miniature with them. So I have to look some more times.

Michael

post-8324-1267290348.jpg

post-8324-1267290359.jpg

Here are 2 miniature medals of the LOM

I can only show this photos I made some years ago. After moving to a new apartement I can´t find this miniatures. Searching the apartement up and down three times but can´t find the items. There also was a MOH miniature with them. So I have to look some more times.

Michael

Thanks Michael.

If anybody is good with Photo Shop, maybe we can get a side by side of both of the mini's ??

Another "Pierced Planchet" early double side enameled Legion of Merit (Legionnaire Degree) #6100 Note: Larger style numbering from a different contract. I am currently researching the group with DSC, SS, & PH.

post-8847-1267756658.jpg

post-8847-1267756667.jpg