LEGION of MERIT--Showcase

Jack's Son

17 minutes ago, Little said:

It would be great if the Balfour was issued in WWII.  Balfour did make some WWII medals.  But the only info I've ever seen is that the Balfour commander LOM was issued in 1951.  I believe jmar, here on the forum, is pretty knowledgeable about commander LOM's.

Somewhere I remember reading the single snap version was an early oddity and considered to be given just after the war
I could be MISTAKEN on the specifics but I thought it was a Balfour, again I have been known to be wrong when relying on my

memory :)

5 hours ago, GAZOO said:

Also nice :) 2 snap ribbon ?

Good question, I really do not know, I will check this evening after work and attach a picture.

Take care

Sampo

2 hours ago, sampo said:

Hello Gazoo,

PFA the picture of my attachment of the LOM #702

Take care

Sampo

20220511_180150.jpg

Awesome

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, walt323 said:

image.png.47a697495c7a113d345a28a2b229ff4c.png

Local antique store find. Named to Manuel N. Cooper for action on Guadacanal. Wrap broach ,not numbered. 

lm.jpg

Awesome THE First photo had me very jealous as it looked like a pierced example
even after seeing it was not its still a beautiful engraved example, with a heroes histroy
  Great find

The mini medalgroup of a Dutch Navy Flag Officer with 2 Legion of Merit in it. His original Commanders grade LoM is also shown. 

I'm trying to get his name.

Regards

Herman 

IMG_6274-1.jpg

It is interesting to see he was awarded the Officer AND the Commander grades signified by the typical Gold device on the older (Sterling) miniature for the Officer Grade and the silver Commander grade ribbon bar device used on the more modern mini respectively.   That is a first for me!

Officer&cmder.jpg

2 hours ago, LuftStalg1 said:

It is interesting to see he was awarded the Officer AND the Commander grades signified by the typical Gold device on the older (Sterling) miniature for the Officer Grade and the silver Commander grade ribbon bar device used on the more modern mini respectively.   That is a first for me!

Officer&cmder.jpg

Also the thin white stripe on the Officer (Old style) and the thicker
stripe on the Commander (Newer ribbon style tell)

10 minutes ago, GAZOO said:

Also the thin white stripe on the Officer (Old style) and the thicker
stripe on the Commander (Newer ribbon style tell)

The difference of the white border is strictly due to the age of the miniature medal, 1940's vs 1990's etc.    And now that I look at the set again it seems that the second (New) version of the LOM was added at some point and is NOT original to the set of mini's.  Now when and by whom the second LOM was added who knows?   But someone clearly wanted to demonstrate that the recipient received TWO different grades of the same medal.   You should look into when the officer was awarded each LOM and that will tell you about when the second medal was added to the original set of mini's.  Do you have a name associated with this grouping?

29 minutes ago, LuftStalg1 said:

The difference of the white border is strictly due to the age of the miniature medal, 1940's vs 1990's etc.    And now that I look at the set again it seems that the second (New) version of the LOM was added at some point and is NOT original to the set of mini's.  Now when and by whom the second LOM was added who knows?   But someone clearly wanted to demonstrate that the recipient received TWO different grades of the same medal.   You should look into when the officer was awarded each LOM and that will tell you about when the second medal was added to the original set of mini's.  Do you have a name associated with this grouping?

Thanks I am still new and Not sure about the mini's but the original early issue LOM Originally had a thin white edge boarder and was enlarged later around the same
time the Hooks were removed, at least thats what I have read and noticed in many photos

I do have a two snap Commander Grade LOM with thin white ribbon edge boarder

I found his name: Vice-Admiraal Albert Henri Johan van der Schatte Olivier  (March 4, 1908 - August 14, 1967)

Vice-Admiraal is the Dutch equivalent of a 3 star Admiral. 

I don't know when he received both Legions of Merit from the US, but he received the Dutch permission to wear them on his uniform as follows:

- Officer Legion of Merit             by Royal Decree number 16 on May 3th,  1962,

- Commander Legion of Merit  by Royal Decree number 62 on March 16, 1964.

Regards

Herman 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Vintagemilitaria

Major General Gustave Giraud, French Air Force. Likely awarded while he was the air and defense attaché to the US in 1970

A25E3EE9-01B6-4ADE-A522-EECE6F225B47.jpeg

FA6F6A5B-3CBC-400F-BF9E-5E17CABC71C2.jpeg

Vintagemilitaria

WWII Navy Legion of Merit awarded to Captain Gilbert Myers

“Captain Gilbert B. Myers, United States Navy, was awarded the Legion of Merit for exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding services to the Government of the United States as Secretary of the joint Communications Board and U.S. Secretary for the Combined Communications Board under the Joint and Combined Chiefs of Staff from March 1942 to November 1945.”

B4BC3013-EE2F-4B32-9128-89C50A185D1E.jpeg

963BE54A-31B5-484B-B42D-7D7A9989B926.jpeg

10B66A34-2A31-49A4-94B6-9EDCE51CEC19.jpeg

Vintagemilitaria

Brigadier General Arthur Harris, US Military attaché to Mexico during WWII. He was instrumental in the establishment, training and integration of the Mexican Air Expeditionary Force, better known as the Aztec Eagle Squadron 201, into the allied war effort against Japan in the Philippines. The Aztec Eagles were Mexico's only military unit to ever engage in combat outside the country's national borders. He was awarded his LoM for his time as attaché. 

“Brigadier General Arthur Ringland

Harris, United States Army, was awarded the Legion of Merit for exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding services to the Government of the United States as Military Attache to Mexico and Argentina from 1943 to 1946.”

B0E11093-E637-48F3-982D-06805DE959A6.jpeg

B5E864A2-D876-4DFF-AA7B-7034E7A7172B.jpeg

B02488CA-E525-47DC-840D-94621D728D15.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

here's one that I have, not sure how old it is because the pin is absent, but compared to my other recent examples it's better quality..

Rick

LOM 1.jpg

LOM 2.jpg

LOM 3.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I throw a new foreign recepient in.

Below a picture of a miniatureset with a Legion of Merit awarded to Dutch Lieutenant-General M.J. Wilmink,  commander Dutch Land Forces from 1988 to 1992.

The Legion of Merit was awarded on December 30th 1992 in the US Army General Order #34 as a Commander grade. The device attached to the miniature is silver, but lacks the horizontal scrolls.

Regards 

Herman 

Generaal GN Marinus J. Wilmink.png

• 5 months later...

Just got my first Legion of Merit!

Brooch is marked GI with a diamond mark, which I can't find any info on. I'm new to medal collecting, so apologies if this is well-known mark.

I figured this medal is 1960s-1980s era. Any help in pinning down age/maker would be appreciated.

Thanks!

IMG_4313.jpeg

IMG_4314.jpeg

IMG_4315.jpeg