LEGION of MERIT--Showcase

Jack's Son

• 3 months later...

Anyone know the different makers and serial number ranges for the LOM medals?

Looks like there is at least four different styles of numbers.

Thanks,

• 2 months later...
wartimecollectables.com
On 11/2/2017 at 7:06 AM, sampo said:

Hi Sorry,

Wrong picture in the second post, moderator feel free to remove the double message!

Here the reverse of the commander Legion of merit...

post-152919-0-37738500-1509620765.jpg

Impressive! That's only the third named Commander I've seen!

wartimecollectables.com

Legion of Merit Commander grade awarded to Dr. General Hans Speidel.  Army of the Federal Republic of Germany and former Wehrmacht General. During WWII Hans Speidel held commands on both the Eastern and Western. In April 1944 he was chief of staff to Field Marshal Erwin Rommel when he played a role in the conspiracy to assassinate Adolf Hitler. Post war he joined the Bundeswehr becoming it's first Four Star General.  General Speidel, commanded NATO land forces in Central Europe from 1957 to 1963. He was recipient of both the Knights Cross and the Legion of Merit.
GENERAL ORDERS: Department of the Army, General Orders No. 12 (April 11, 1961)
CITATION:
The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, 20 July 1942, takes pleasure in presenting the Legion of Merit, in the Degree of Commander to General Dr. Hans Speidel, Army of the Federal Republic of Germany, for exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding services to the Government of the United States, from April 1957 to January 1961.

Sp2.jpg

Sp1.jpg

skypilot6670

Beautiful with amazing history. Your lifesaving silver, 6th Corps Civil war and now this make a very impressive group.  My compliments.  Mike

wartimecollectables.com

Thanks! Wish I could keep it all but putting 'Civil War' on the shelf keeps me broke enough!

wartimecollectables.com
1 hour ago, 3mxd said:

For some reason Speidel's surname is miss-spelled on the medal (Spiedel) but correctly spelled in the citation.

Not unusual to see misspellings, and with English ie and German ei being swapped it's understandable.

Good evening (at least here in Europe).

Is there a website or another source were one can find the General Orders of the post WW2 Legion of Merits? 

I own a named LoM issued to a Dutch Airforce Colonel. It was issued in 1977. It would be very nice to have the GO.

Regards 

Herman 

• 3 weeks later...
wartimecollectables.com
On 6/22/2020 at 10:32 PM, wartimecollectables.com said:

Legion of Merit Commander grade awarded to Dr. General Hans Speidel.  Army of the Federal Republic of Germany and former Wehrmacht General. During WWII Hans Speidel held commands on both the Eastern and Western. In April 1944 he was chief of staff to Field Marshal Erwin Rommel when he played a role in the conspiracy to assassinate Adolf Hitler. Post war he joined the Bundeswehr becoming it's first Four Star General.  General Speidel, commanded NATO land forces in Central Europe from 1957 to 1963. He was recipient of both the Knights Cross and the Legion of Merit.
GENERAL ORDERS: Department of the Army, General Orders No. 12 (April 11, 1961)
CITATION:
The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, 20 July 1942, takes pleasure in presenting the Legion of Merit, in the Degree of Commander to General Dr. Hans Speidel, Army of the Federal Republic of Germany, for exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding services to the Government of the United States, from April 1957 to January 1961.

Sp2.jpg

Digging further into the history, Everything about the medal is correct EXCEPT the PQM misspelled the name and I BELIEVE the medal never got issued. It's from the Gen.  Gaynor collection auctioned a decade ago. I have learned Gen. Gaynor pulled strings and got to dive into the stock of unissued named pieces.

On 6/22/2020 at 10:32 PM, wartimecollectables.com said:

wartimecollectables.com

Legion of Merit documents to Russian General. 

The LoM Certificates to Russian officers certainly aren't common but one does encounter them.
But I thought the 9th Army document was rather unique!

2020-07-15 00.02.37.jpg

2020-07-15 00.02.52.jpg

2020-07-15 00.02.56.jpg

• 1 month later...
wartimecollectables.com

Just picked this up. An officially named LoM officer grade named to a Vietnamese Army officer. I assumed a late award for the Vietnam War but the citation I found is from 2002!?

LOM (6).jpg

LOM_(5).jpg

LOM (3).jpg

LOM (4).jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Two Officer grade Legion of Merit.

Left a 1977 awarded SIMCO marked type and right an EPGI marked recent manufactured type.

For both a separate topic is written in the medals section.

Regards

Herman 

IMG_4157.jpg

• 4 months later...

Just received this Chief Commander badge. Enamel is excellent with brighter red and vibrant green. It’s not as heavy as the 1960s piece that I have and it’s not as vaulted but that’s probably just a different manufacturer. I’m confident it’s not late 60s or 70s or later because the type of metal used on the later versions would not allow it to build the patina that it has so I suspect it’s 1950s into the 60s. 

AB91C413-5BA2-422D-9E40-2A4F3702D8D7.jpeg

4DDBBD73-0334-4390-9260-70577202F703.jpeg

3443C795-5F5C-40AE-9763-A375FA1F2E86.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Lom attributed to Dr. Lewis Chery

I believe he learned his Legion of Merit as a T3 in the European civil affairs his obituary states he worked with the us  government during the Nuremberg trials

I cannot find any information connecting that

DSCN1425.JPG

20200224_060510.jpg

1581245603976.jpg

• 1 month later...

some really amazing pieces in here, I didn't know there were this many rare LOMs in existence. Here is my LOM. Not amazing compared to some of ya'll but it's one of the highlights of my collection. From what I could find online, He enlisted in 1943, and got a feild comission to officer in the battle where he got this LOM. After world war 2 he was in the korean war and got another LOM which is what the oak leaf ribbon bar in the second image is. On a side note, the case is untitled and I am looking for a titled world war 2 army LOM case if anyone is willing to sell. 

IMG_1090.JPG.13357eeb339622066ede9be6e879e329.JPGIMG_1068.JPG.1868303bdd22fee296db853515a3d593.JPG

• 3 months later...

Just Received this LOM Commander To
Lieutenant General Sir Brian Gwynne HORROCKS, KCB, KBE, C.B. DSO, MC

GOC British XXX Corps
This is for Operation "CLIPPER" Mid Nov 1944
Joint UK & US Offensive to reduce the GELLENKIRCHEN SALIENT &
Take control of the Hurtgen Forest

Supporting Documents
Signed Truman APPROVAL on WHITE HOUSE stationary

Signed, Embossed Kings Order of
Dispatch Published in London Gazette 9 Aug 1945

Not sure about the LOM Date