LEGION of MERIT--Showcase

Jack's Son

The fantastic LOM Chief Commander breast star made by CORO

marked "12C"

made between mid 1950s - mid 1960s

"Two-digit, numeral-alpha codes were introduced c.1953-54, with some reaching three digits where the number of manufacturers required it.

Transition to all three-digit codes, with a new alpha-numeral orientation occurred c.1964-65.

Many of these companies produced emblems prior to the 1950s and other hallmarks were used"

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/254356-coro-hallmark-12c/

Michael

post-8324-0-67732000-1448053804.jpeg

post-8324-0-59054300-1448053818.jpeg

• 6 months later...

Thought as my first post I'd show off my recent find. Any ideas on when this was manufactured and by whom? I can't find any markings anywhere on it. I'm assuming this a recent strike based on the engraving on the back. I'm still a novice collector so any feedback will definitely be appreciated.

post-162811-0-46454500-1465962146.jpgpost-162811-0-49588600-1465962163.jpg

Out of my collection this is the coolest. :)

The fantastic LOM Chief Commander breast star made by CORO

marked "12C"

made between mid 1950s - mid 1960s

"Two-digit, numeral-alpha codes were introduced c.1953-54, with some reaching three digits where the number of manufacturers required it.

Transition to all three-digit codes, with a new alpha-numeral orientation occurred c.1964-65.

Many of these companies produced emblems prior to the 1950s and other hallmarks were used"

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/254356-coro-hallmark-12c/

Michael

Pretty sharp LOM. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All lovely examples. Here is one of mine, my first LOM.

This HLP example belonged to a Lieutenant Colonel that served in the Army Medical Service Corps during the Vietnam War.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkd7885d2abe7ba4a4ecf67f696eee15e4.jpgf86a78b587d968981efe957e03451176.jpg

• 1 month later...

The CDF (Dr) Julius Karangi is awarded the Legion of Merit Medal by the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen Martin Dempsey for his efforts in stabilizing Somalia and the fight against Al-Shabaab

http://nairobiwire.com/2014/08/photos-karangi-tours-america-visits-pentagon-us-mexico-border-flies-f-16-fighter-jet.html

post-8324-0-89121800-1474568745_thumb.jpeg

I wished there would be a way to find out more and how it ended in Frankfurt / Main GERMANY.

There is no case or other items with the medal. It was hidden on a attic with other WWII ( german ) items.

Maybe from a collector who stored it there and now it was found by a other person.

Michael

Hello

A few days ago I posted a link to the LOM Chief Commander made by BB&B in Sterling with number 38 to Sir Sholto Douglas.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30008542

Here is the picture of the reverse.

THE PICTURE IS COPYRIGHT by IWM !

I received the permission to post it here.

"...

Dear Michael,

Thanks for your email.

The image that was sent you is only a reference copy for internal use only and ordinarily would not be allowed to be distributed. I have however, queried this with Axxx Jxxxxxxx and he is happy to allow this in this instance. Please note that the obverse image however, is IWM copyright and will need to be credited as such.

Kind regards,

... "

Michael

post-8324-0-25859300-1475175659_thumb.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Pure dumb luck...I ran across this one. Not something I've ever particularly needed or wanted, but I ended up buying it! This is Chief Commander of the Legion of Merit 161 (better to have been 151, but oh well...) :D I need to find my scale and see how heavy this is...it's a monster of a medal and solid sterling silver to boot! Probably the most impressive US medal I've had a chance to hold (well, aside from the early Gold Lifesaving medal...those are amazing...)

Enjoy!

12-9-2016 9-18-22 AM.jpg

@ Dave

Great find.

Only if you hold this medal once in your own hands you can imagine how impressive this medal is.

@ all

If you read the USMF topics you will learn a lot.

I have read this topic and the "Call of Duty" and so I know what treasure it was when if I saw the pictures of that medal with number 73.

Happy collecting

Michael