LEGION of MERIT--Showcase

Jack's Son

Early Legion of Merit #9661 script engraved to Robert E. Miller.

I have been striking out with the research on this one, so any help would be much appreciated.

Gleim cites two Robert E. Miller's in his compilation of LOM's for WWII, they are:

Miller, Robert E., Lt Col G.O. 20 1947 Dept of the Army

Miller, Robert E., T/Sgt G.O. 38 1943 War Department

Your LOM appears to be an early war issue due to the numbering, therefore I'm ruling out the Lt Col.

I found a reference to the T/Sgt in Brandon Wiegands compilation "Index to the General Orders, War Department, 1941-47" which states:

Miller, Robert E., TSG, Special Army Observation Group, England LM (GO#38, 1943WD)

I think this is probably your recipient, hope this helps, looks to be an interesting research project from here.

DakotaDave

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

An exquisite bar....what I find the most interesting is that the LOM looks like a mini commander grade with the wreath at the top suspension. I very much like the mini type 2 silver lifesaving medal, that in itself makes the bar for me.

this group is beautiful I do believe it is a mini commander never sean or heard about one before this groupit does have the enamel on the back ill post a pick of the back when I get out of work tonight

I'd still say yes regardless of enamel on the reverse. May not be feasible for the mini to do both sides. Either way, the wreath suspension is the tell for me, I think that makes it a unique bar IMO

• 2 months later...

Here's a sterling, wrap brooch LOM with theater printed 84th Division citation awarded to a Soviet artillery captain in 1945 for actions around Berlin. I bought this at a militaria show back in the 1990's from a Russian dealer. Back then there were many such dealers selling all the old Soviet "schlock". I luckily happened to see this amongst the pile of stuff on his table. He bought it in Moscow from the son of the captain. Based on the stretched ribbon, you can tell it was regularly worn (as the Soviets tended to do).

Kurt

attachicon.gifLegion_o...__Soviet.jpg

Out of curiosity, I kept looking for the unit that the good Soviet Captain was assigned to. The 211th Artillery Regiment was part of the 23rd Rifle Division, which was part of the 89th Rifle Corps of the 61st Army on the 1st Belorussian Front.

Interestingly, he was a Captain commanding a battalion in the Artillery Regiment. Not to get too off topic, but so that we can have some appreciation for what this guy did, there were 3 battalions in an "on paper" (or shtat, as it was called) Artillery Regiment. Each battalion had approximately 288 officers, NCOs and enlisted. By the time they met with the US forces near Below, in Germany, the authorized divisional strength of a front line Soviet division had gone from 4400 men to 3600 men...roughly a 20% drop in manning. Thus, his battalion was probably running something in the 230 personnel range...and had gone from being commanded by a Major to being commanded by a Captain. Fully authorized, his battalion had 8 76mm ZIS-3 cannon and 4 122mm howitzers.

Chances are, he had probably been commissioned for less than four years, was around 23 years of age, and in all probability, had been in combat for nearly all of that time, to include vicious fighting to the north of Berlin. My guess is that he was awarded one of the higher Soviet orders for him to be also awarded a reciprocal US order.

Fascinating document with history!

Dave

I just got in the good Captain's award card from the archives!

He was Ukrainian, born in 1915 and joined the Red Army in 1936. Interestingly, he was still a Captain in 1948...talk about stalled promotion!

He was awarded the Order of the Patriotic War 2nd Class number 269716 on 17 August 1944 and Patriotic War 1st Class number 163068 on 24 March 1945. My guess is that the latter award was one earned on the outskirts of Berlin. He was credited with the medals "Liberation of Warsaw", "Capture of Berlin", and "For Victory Over Germany". He was awarded the medal For Military Merit for 10 years of unblemished service in April of 1947 and the Order of the Red Star in November 1951 for 15 years of service. It appears that he just missed the cut off for his 20-year Red Banner, or he got out...looks like he might have had some issues with making rank.

I should have his service card tomorrow and hopefully it will have a photo of him and more granularity as far as details of his service!

Dave

Just came across these posts. I'm able to add a bit more detail to Captain Nochnoy's service record.

As Dave noted, he commanded a battalion in the 211th Artillery Pinskiy, Order of Bogdan Khmelnitskiy, Order of Aleksandr Nevskiy Regiment. In addition to his OPWII and OPWI awards, he was also awarded an Order of Aleksandr Nevskiy (downgraded from an Order of the Red Banner recommendation) via order No. 23/N, Commander 61st Army Artillery, dated June 12th, 1945. His Order of the Patriotic War First Class also resulted from a downgraded Order of the Red Banner recommendation.

His OAN award recommendation contains the following line, "The assigned mission was accomplished and at 1800 hours on 2 May 1945 our units linked up with forces of our allies." Presumably, the referenced allied forces are those of the U.S. 84th Infantry Division.

Shade

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
roadrunner

from enemies to friends

LOM engraved "KARL LUDWIG KIENE"

LOM citation November, 27 1979

post-8324-0-29442500-1431017951.jpg

from enemies to friends

LOM engraved "KARL LUDWIG KIENE"

LOM citation November, 27 1979

That's pretty interesting! It would have been really fascinating to see it mounted with his '57 medals.

Here's the GO authorizing his LOM. Sorry for the size being so small...he's toward the bottom.

5-7-2015 11-33-03 AM.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hello

If I saw this two medals the auction was closed and the items unsold. One week later I asked if they are still available but at that time they were sold. :-(

Is it posible to find out the name of the recipient of the LOM Commander ?

The LOM Chief Commander looks like silver. Exist a sterling silver version ?

HAVE A NICE DAY

Michael

post-8324-0-80895000-1436888451.jpg

post-8324-0-29523700-1436888567.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 months later...