LEGION of MERIT--Showcase

Jack's Son

Here is one of mine. It is an un-numbered wrap brooch style and was awarded to Lt. Col. Raymond S. Pratt. I didn't want to take the frame apart so I did my best to photograph it through the glass frame.

Josey

LOM004.jpg

LOM008.jpg

Here is one of mine.

Col.George W.Gillette

Silver Star awardee in WWI with Co.A Corps of Engineers North Carolina National Guard

I think he was assigned to Washington,DC in WWII

4gps_013__338x450_.jpg

more photos....

• 4 weeks later...

Legion of Merit awarded to Colonel Hugh Mahoney, USAF upon retirement in 1970 after 30 years of service including witnessing the bombing of Pearl Harbor, receiving the Silver Star for Midway and the Purple Heart for spending 5 days alone in a raft!

-Ski

post-3043-1332694145.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
aerialbridge
Hi All,

Teamski and a few others have shown us those beautiful medals

..........Now it's your turn.....Bring'um on.

:twothumbup: :drool2: :jeal0001: :bravo:

Gilt, full- wrap, barrel catch, WW2 or earlier

post-18406-1336947212.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing sexy, numbered wrap brooch 11462. The reverse has seen the tip of someone trying to test for gold content, there was no engraving removed that I can tell with a loupe. A little salty which is why I like it

post-114-1338067960.jpgpost-114-1338067980.jpg

"Nothing sexy", in a pig's eye, Sal!! You have scored a direct hit!! Your LOM #11462 is one of 574 WW2 LOMs that are traceable by brooch number alone. Your medal was issued to 2nd Lieut. (MSgt) Lee W. Popple, ASN 2046550, 343rd Eng. Regt. His citation is in GO #42 of 1944, issued by HQ, US Army, NATO. His serial number also indicates that he was a WW1 enlisted veteran. If you can learn his home state, there might be a WW1 state service record card available on him.

The 343rd Eng. Regt. earned ten battle stars in WW2, starting with Algeria-French Morocco, Tunisia, Sicily, Naples-Foggia, Anzio, Rome-Arno, So. France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, & Central Europe. Arrowhead for So. France. So your veteran had plenty of opportunity to earn his LOM. I'll bet he also got a BSM, with all that combat exposure.

Congratulations!!!

Sal: I mis-read Lee W. Popple's Army serial number. It was typed 02046550, which really was O-2046550, a reserve officer's service number. So he wasn't a WW1 veteran. There was an enlistee of that name from Indiana, Lake County, born 1906 in Wisconsin, enlisted 3-25-1942, enlisted svc #35110979. There was also a Lee W. Popple who served a hitch in the USMC from May 1930 to Feb. 1934. This may be the same guy??

You'll have to sort it all out from here, Sal. Good luck!

Here is my great grandfathers group.....I have his papers that go along with the LOM....just gotta dig them out....

DSC00712.jpg

The bottom row (tags, Naval Academy ring, the 3 medals and his sword) have recently turned up.

Here is a WWII era USN/USMC LOM group that just sold on Ebay for $382.00. It looks to be a WWII USN/USMC Bronze Star. I found it to be puzzling that there was no WWII era Campaign Medal in the group. Even if it were a top set, it should still contain either the Pacfic or European Theatre Campaign Medal(s). Note the shorter drape and the small jump ring that is specific to WWII USN/USMC LOM's.

The 'wear-er' has a choice of the five decorations / medals he wishes to display. Most of the pics I see for ceremonies have the people wearing five awards.

Thanks,

G2

My complements to the many fine pieces shown.

Had to open the safe and get out one of mine. Here is a Chief Commander by BB&B, serial number 122 in the presentation case.

Thanks,

G2

post-8930-1338787462.jpg

post-8930-1338787473.jpg

post-8930-1338787490.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

G2

Very nice, the only one missing from my LOM collection. Hope to get one someday.

DakotaDave