LEGION of MERIT--Showcase

Jack's Son

LuftStalg1
Ok, here are some shots of a framed setup I made for my displays with the history and description of the grades. And the others are a few of my cased sets. The LOM is one of the most attractive of the US medals in my opinion and has always been one of my favorites. :thumbsup: And being the only one in different grades for foreigners the possibilities are endless!

With the flash OFF the un-natural light made the blue background look purple! :blink:

post-15093-1307027445.jpg

4STARCHRIS

Very, very nice. You are a busy little bee aren't you.

between this and the Space medals nice cases.

4starchris

LuftStalg1

Thanks Chris! I guess I just have too much time on my hands. Honestly most of it is stuff I have done over the years and being new to the forum I have the opportunity to share it with folks just as crazy as me. :w00t: That and being fresh out of a divorce and somewhat free again! :hapy0003:

Very, very nice. You are a busy little bee aren't you.

between this and the Space medals nice cases.

4starchris

LuftStalg1

Sal, here is a shot of the back and looking down into the Commander showing the pins used to hold it in place. The lapel pins and ribbon bars were all simply pined to the board and a dab of silicon added to the back to keep them from falling out. The Chief Commander is held in strictly by dabs of silicon. I use the clear silicon from small tubes you snip the end off of and squeeze by hand. It doesn’t take much you just have to let it sit and dry for a couple of days to make sure its good to go. I just use small dabs so if you want to take it off later you just slowly twist is and it brakes free without tearing up the paper on you display piece. Now for any medal that has the neck ribbon I use straight pins pushed through a piece of stiff cardboard like that used to support shirt collars when you buy them new to keep it from pulling through the ribbon and ruining it. Then I just bend the straight pin over and back into the back of the display. In some cases I use the heave “T” shaped pins you find in fabric shops. If your carful you can work the point of the pins between the threads of the ribbon so you don’t tear it up so when/if you remove them later you can rub it with your finger and they close up with no sign the pin was there or any damage.

post-15093-1307150603.jpg

post-15093-1307150620.jpg

LuftStalg1

Sal, to your questions about telling the age on some of these one thing to look for on the Commander is that the early ones are numbered on the back of the suspension loop. Mine is number 330. Really hard to seen in the photo unfortunately. Now you want to see a nice collection of LOM’s check out Mr. Weitkamp’s post here. We could all learn a few things from him! :twothumbup:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry832317

post-15093-1307283278.jpg

• 7 months later...

Hello to everyone,

This is one of my favorite pinned posts, incredible pieces, great history AND one of my favorite U.S. decorations (who could ask for anything more). I'm going to humbly add several posts to this remarkable thread over the next several weeks (in other words as time allows me to scan and photograph material :lol: ).

I hope my additions will help build this resource, so with no further ado here are a few USN LOM's from my collection. All are in sequence from left to right, so: closed cases, obverse and reverse are all in order.

Many thanks to JS for starting this most enjoyable thread!

My best to all,

Joe

post-48324-1327961579.jpg

You asked for show pieces. Here is an example of the first model Legion of Merit. It is enameled on both sides, and the arrows are pierced out. Its full wrap brooch is numbered "106". It has an Officers device, and came from England. It is believed that only about 200 of these double enameled LOMs were made before the required labor and process time became too slow and expensive. This model of LOM is considered to be a classic WW2 rarity.

Tom,

I have two LOMs with the pierced arrows and enameled on the reverse with numbered broaches. The officer degree is numbered "105" and the Legionnaire is numbered "73". I bought the pair in Virginia about 30 years ago. If I told you what I Paid for the pair you would turn green from envy. I didn't know they only made about 200 of the early LOM's. I really like the one you have and 105,106 would make a nice display. John

By request, here is my WWII LOM grouping to SSgt William Schneider, 67th FS for service on Guadalcanal. Officially named. He was a Crew Chief on P-39's. After the war, he became a Flight Engineer, retiring at Dover AFB in 1969. He passed away in 2007. The postcard is from Hawaii on his way to China to join the Flying Tigers. After Pearl Harbor was bombed, he was diverted to Australia and the rest is history.

-Ski

post-3043-1328144831.jpg

post-3043-1328144844.jpg

Thank you, Ski!

This is an absolutely beautiful grouping, and the one that inspired this thread!

Great to have it among so many historic pieces! :thumbsup:

The LOM on the left is from the General Claude Larkin Group (USMC) numbered 5465

The LOM on the right is from the General Woodrow Kessler Group (USMC) no number

S/F Bill

post-248-1328149502.jpg

post-248-1328149512.jpg

You asked for show pieces. Here is an example of the first model Legion of Merit. It is enameled on both sides, and the arrows are pierced out. Its full wrap brooch is numbered "106". It has an Officers device, and came from England. It is believed that only about 200 of these double enameled LOMs were made before the required labor and process time became too slow and expensive. This model of LOM is considered to be a classic WW2 rarity.

Tom,

I have two LOMs with the pierced arrows and enameled on the reverse with numbered broaches. The officer degree is numbered "105" and the Legionnaire is numbered "73". I bought the pair in Virginia about 30 years ago. If I told you what I Paid for the pair you would turn green from envy. I didn't know they only made about 200 of the early LOM's. I really like the one you have and 105,106 would make a nice display. John

WOW, I would love to get my hands on one of the early pierced / enameled LOM's. :love: Did I miss the pictures? :huh:

Greetings all,

Here's another for this thread, falls into the number range made by Irons & Russell. Nice sterling planchet, wish I knew who "Shaw" was!

Coming up next (soon) a numbered Officer Grade maker marked by Irons & Russell.

My best to all,

Joe

post-48324-1329085489.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A closer shot of the Balfour Commander grade badge, the quality and workmanship is unsurpassed, I was very lucky to come across this one. IMO the standard.

post-114-1329839337.jpg