Why are Mountain Rucksacks so plentiful?

Garandomatic

I have had one of these for a lone time. Friend found it in high school, with the rifle strap still with it, white snow camo cover inside it, with an early war gas mask bag, civilian gas mask bag, and canteen cup stashed in it. Also, there was a tropical tent/mosquito net hammock in it.

I was pretty amazed, and assumed these to be rare, I mean, to my knowledge, only the 10th Mountain Division and the First Special Service Force used them, right?

I see them all day long go for $25. I never sell things (I did find a spare snow cover listed as a "flare parachute" for $.99, flipped it since I have the one that came with mine) but it seems odd to me that everybody and their brother has an item that I guess technically was issued to less men that a lot of super rare airborne items.

What's the story with these? Any info on their use? Postwar history? Were they just not that great, and therefore got dumped into surplus or what?

Garand: These were issued to troops operating in very cold regions, and although they were designed primarily for skiing and mountaineering, they weren't limited to being passed out to specialized Mountain Infantry and 1st Special service Force units. They were produced up into the 1960s, and were a main basis for the later A.L.I.C.E. and other load carrying gear. As to why so many were produced, one explanation is the hard-core training that mountain troops went through; one excercise was to load them with rocks and go for a "little" jog.

I guess when I think about them compared to the jungle packs, it always made me wonder why I always trip over mountain rucks, but have yet to get a jungle pack. I really really want one in cameo to go with the 1 piece camo HBT suit that I got in the late 90s, which is your avatar, I believe...

Here in W-Europe they became available after a large batch came was surplussed by the Greek army; at least thats how I got mine.

Greetz ;)

David

One of mine has been used post-war by a civilian for camping/hiking as it had a post-war map of a national park folded up inside it. I guess this may be part of the reason why they are still around in numbers, as they had some sort of civilian utility so could find their way into garages and closets over the years once the Army had no more use for them or a newer pattern had been introduced. Maybe we should thank the Boy Scouts for their unwitting preservation of yesterdays Army surplus sleeping bags, canteens and first-aid kits. :thumbsup:

I guess when I think about them compared to the jungle packs, it always made me wonder why I always trip over mountain rucks, but have yet to get a jungle pack. I really really want one in cameo to go with the 1 piece camo HBT suit that I got in the late 90s, which is your avatar, I believe...

Garand: Actually, that's the Army's 2-Piece Jungle Suit in the avatar (it's hard to tell because the pic is eentsy- better shot below, with a 1-Piece at right), which was developed in '43 to replace the highly disliked 1-Piece Suit. The last Jungle Field Packs* were made in 1944 around the time the M1944 Combat/Cargo Pack rig came into being, while the Rucksacks stayed on for a good many years- hence, the greater availability.

post-3226-1266100079.jpg

Jon: You said a mouthful there- saw my first Rucksack in the Scouts, and have had a weak place for 'em ever since. I was already a surplus-head before I even joined, but Scouting sure gave me a grand excuse to go to the old surplus stores and get more neat stuff :lol:...still have most of it, too.

*Ever try Ebay? Both camo and O.D. Jungle Packs show up pretty regularly.

Guest Alaskan Scout

Ive always wondered this myself..Since i got to Alaska i run into @least one every few trips in various stores but i have yet to find one i can use..I have one I use every time i got to the bush up here and IMO its far superior to anything ive ever used..But alas i worry she is getting old ..... 1940s is what i always find..If i could find one younger and all canvas id be a happy guy...

Ive always wondered this myself..Since i got to Alaska i run into @least one every few trips in various stores but i have yet to find one i can use..I have one I use every time i got to the bush up here and IMO its far superior to anything ive ever used..But alas i worry she is getting old ..... 1940s is what i always find..If i could find one younger and all canvas id be a happy guy...

:w00t: At last :w00t: I run into somebody who likes using these as much as I do. The old Rucksack has been my favorite load-carrying gear since I was a kid; you can carry enough gear and dry goods to stay out for at least a week. Part of the pack's weight being carried at the waist, rather than just all pulling down on the shoulders, is a big plus. Just my opinion. ;)

One of the Administrators here has one dated '66 or thereabouts, but a lot of these later ones got used up in 'Nam. They don't pop up nearly as often as the W.W.IIs, unfortunately.

A couple of years back before I had to retire because of Age I had to pass a test to get my Red Card so I could go fight Forest Fires on Federal Land. It involved walking three miles in 45 minutes with a 40lb pack. I used my Mountain pack with 40lbs of lead shot. Very good pack. Robert

Guest Alaskan Scout

They just dont make them like this anymore. do they boys?...Today its all computer formulated and hitech huba huba gucci cool RIE stuff..Someone forgot this simple desgin along the way....

Here is mine last weekend or there abouts @ minus 15 degrees in the Mnts of Alaska.....

p1010007-1.jpg

p1010005-1.jpg

p1010008.jpg

They just dont make them like this anymore. do they boys?...Today its all computer formulated and hitech huba huba gucci cool RIE stuff..Someone forgot this simple desgin along the way....

Here is mine last weekend or there abouts @ minus 15 degrees in the Mnts of Alaska.....

p1010007-1.jpg

p1010005-1.jpg

p1010008.jpg

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boy, I sure hope God grants me some more opportunities to hit the high country before my time's up....

p1010007-1.jpg

p1010005-1.jpg

p1010008.jpg

Reminds me of the book "Into the wild", just you have cool ww2 gear you are camping with.

One estimate is that over 70000 (maybe more) of these were made, but the 10th only trained about 31000 guys - even with wear & tear, there should have been lots of leftovers.

Im looking for a new one w/ no leather....Ive actually never seen one but for on this forum..

You mean a civilian copy? I used to see those in Kaufman's old surplus catalogues, as well as in stores; they usually had aluminum frames.

Guest Alaskan Scout
You mean a civilian copy? I used to see those in Kaufman's old surplus catalogues, as well as in stores; they usually had aluminum frames.

There were a few Army MR on here that were all canvas w/ no leather straps or anything...

On a side note I picked up a pack board today for 20$..Ill post some pics soon..

I found a WWII survival kit for 75$, mint w/ all the parts even the instructions and a Mountain reversable green to sno camo tent w/ all the parts im getten for 75$ also..CANT WAIT TILL MONDAY to go get them! Alaska rocks!

Cobrahistorian
Plentiful?? I don't think I've ever seen one for sale, at least not that I recall.

Yeah, unfortunately, they are quite plentiful. I've owned five in the time I've been collecting. Right now, I've got a spare frame that I can't give away! IF they have all the accessories (belly band, rifle strap, snow brush and camo cover) they're considerably more valuable, but finding them complete is the challenge.

Jon

Guest Alaskan Scout
Yeah, unfortunately, they are quite plentiful. I've owned five in the time I've been collecting. Right now, I've got a spare frame that I can't give away! IF they have all the accessories (belly band, rifle strap, snow brush and camo cover) they're considerably more valuable, but finding them complete is the challenge.

Jon

I had a spare frame a few years ago i turned upside down (curved up) and bolted to the deck of my kayak and made a carrage for my ruck..worked great.

I tell ya something else that seems to follow me around is that danged M1944 (is that right?) pack board. I was at a big swap meet/gun show/ whathaveyou and had an armload. E tool, bought an old cast iron skillet, few other things, and I spy one out of the corner of my eye. $15 and it's mine, strap my junk to it and keep on going. Handy.

A year later, I am doing that yard sale across America deal, have a handful of this and that and some 78 rpm records, and actually said "boy, what I wouldn't give to find another packboard..." cross the street, there one is. Bought it, strapped my stuff down, there you go. I think it was $8.

At a local antique store, I saw a third one, less complete, so I passed.

My buddy and I got a kick out of it. Stranger things have happened, though, I think I also said at that point all the other stuff I sure wish I could find, but no luck, at least that day anyways! I dunno, around these parts you don't run into the high profile things a lot of folks on here find. Just not in the right circles to get in on it, and there are always plenty of ads in the paper throughout the year for people paying top dollar for WWI and WWII antiques.... Anyways, if I find anything, it's the best day ever. I can SMELL HBT material from across a room, proved it when I got my first pair of HBT coveralls for $1! I have found enough stuff that it just goes to show that you can usually find one thing, and if it is WWI or WWII and less than $10, there is a real good chance it's coming home with me no matter what it is. I guess I'm kind of a dirtbag of a collector, but I love it all and that's why I do it. I guess that's also why I have about a dozen mess kits, they looked lonesome and were cheap!

I tell ya something else that seems to follow me around is that danged M1944 (is that right?) pack board. I was at a big swap meet/gun show/ whathaveyou and had an armload. E tool, bought an old cast iron skillet, few other things, and I spy one out of the corner of my eye. $15 and it's mine, strap my junk to it and keep on going. Handy.

A year later, I am doing that yard sale across America deal, have a handful of this and that and some 78 rpm records, and actually said "boy, what I wouldn't give to find another packboard..." cross the street, there one is. Bought it, strapped my stuff down, there you go. I think it was $8.

At a local antique store, I saw a third one, less complete, so I passed.

Whenever I go to a show, I either have a Rucksack or a Yukon fitted with a Supply Pack to stuff the aquisitions into. You said it- super handy.