Lt. Col. Harold Finn Gormsen Medal Grouping

ItemCo16527

Thanks! I'll post them over there, and maybe someone will be able to figure out if that one unknown is the DCM or MM, or perhaps an award from another country. Don't worry about the error with the year, I didn't even notice :)

Here is an example of a ribbon bar where the American recipient was actually entitled to wear it.

post-920-1266346411.jpg

Like your man he came from NY and served in both world wars but was never a member of the NG. He fraudlently enlisted in the British army in 1915, to OTS and commissioned a 2/Lieut., RFA Special Reserve in May 1916, served in the 119th Battery/5th Division (18-pounders/75mm), severely wounded on the Somme in October 1916 (MID and Croix de Guerre w/palm), in hospital and convalescing in England until June 1917. At this point he petitioned the War Office to relinquish his commission so he could join the AEF which was granted. He was assigned to the 1st Division artillery, the only officer in his regiment who had any time at the front. He assumed command of his battery in April 1918 and gave it up when he resigned his commission in June 1919. He had the unfortunate honor of being the first man in his regiment to be wounded in February 1917 and again on 4 October 1918, the first day of the second phase of the Meuse-Argonne, by a shell which killed his XO and severely wounded his 1SG. Although he was entitled to the BWM, he evidently never applied for it, there's no MIC for him and his name does not appear on any issue rolls for the medal.

When this thread began discussing the BWM I asked Tom Nier if he had ever seen a full-sized one actually being worn by a WW I vet. I had heard stories of it but had been skeptical since I'd never seen any proof. He answered that he had indeed and had copies of two photos used in between-the-wars editions of the Legion of Valor's journal. Here's the first.

post-920-1266348215.jpg

Williams' DSC was a late award (1923) for gallantry near Ronssoy during the assault on Hindenburg Line, 29 September 1918. He was a sergeant in Co C, 301st Tank Battalion which supported II Corps with British Mark V tanks. Note that the self-awarded BWM on the far right is court-mounted! Another New Yorker.

Another interesting example of non-27th/30th BWM wear is George Upton Harvey, another late award (1929) for gallantry on the Vesle River, 23 August 1918, as a company commander, 308th Infantry, 77th Division. He too hailed from New York.

post-920-1266349066.jpg

The 77th(less artillery) had trained with the British April-June 1918. I don't have any research on his military career, but he's wearing a number of medals that neither Tom nor I can figure out. The top row consists of his DSC/unknown/unknown/NY Conspicuous Service Cross. Botton row: US Victory w/three bars, BWM, French Victory, NY State War Service, unknown, VFW membership medal. Any assistance in identifying these unknowns would be much appreciated and many thanks to Tom for sharing these.

#2 & 3 look like the Polish Vertuti Militara (sp?) and the Haller Medal (Polish) with swords.

Bill

post-248-1266372372.jpg

Thanks, Blake :) Took forever to get good photos. I'm still getting used to my new digital camera.

Bill, thanks for posting that picture. I've never seen that medal medal before, and it is a beauty!

My G-Grandfathers brother was recruited in Rockville CT. in 1917 to serve in Haller's Army in France and then at the battle at the Vistula

in 1920, he was awarded the Haller medal with swords, I have his medals.

Bill

UPDATE:

I've just received a few more items of LTC Gormsen's. This will probably be the last of his items I'll be able to acquire, but if anything else becomes available, I'll post more updates.

102nd Engineers Bowling Tournament Medal:

2nvuvt1.jpg

NRA Sequicentennial Sports Medal, Philadelphia, 1926:

19w0vk.jpg24e3wgy.jpg

35cfqco.jpg2i06xjp.jpg

Military Athletic League Medal:

34hj809.jpg

1lmon.jpg

American Legion lapel pin:

29xek9t.jpg352gqxe.jpg

Date Bars for unknown badge:

2qa0jes.jpg

I forgot to mention that a National Defense Service Medal also came with these medals, as well as some totally un-related items, and I'm unsure if it was his or not. Would anyone know how I could find out when LTC Gormsen retired from the NYNG?