Doeskin Field Grade Visor

larry030767

larry030767

Just arrived early AG 489 Field Grade Officers Fur Felt Service Cap. I.D.ed to a Lt. Col. J.E. Keefe. What makes it nice is the Cap Eagle I've been told an "40's era bird with no makers mark but hallmarked with "Acid-Test". A couple of dinky moth pinholes but nothing that takes the beauty of Bancrofts best.

post-104-1182989438.jpg

post-104-1182989458.jpg

Just arrived early AG 489 Field Grade Officers Fur Felt Service Cap. I.D.ed to a Lt. Col. J.E. Keefe. What makes it nice is the Cap Eagle I've been told an "40's era bird with no makers mark but hallmarked with "Acid-Test". A couple of dinky moth pinholes but nothing that takes the beauty of Bancrofts best.

I agree, that bird is much earlier than the hat, which is at the earliest from the late 50's. The bird, though one of the less attractive interpretations of the design is definitely WWII. My guess - a WWII era officer who stayed on in the reserves or NG and used his old hat insignia.

I think "Acid test" was used mostly - if not exclusively - by GEMSCO for their gold plated pieces. Click on link Craig posted above and you'll see on on its original card.

larry030767

Thanks for the comments and links. The one of the great things about this addiction (Militaria) is there is always more to learn.