M5 Assault Gas Mask Carriers, different types on snaps

anelles

Quick question, I couldn't find anything with a search.

Nearly 20 years ago, when I first started collecting, at a flea market there was a vendor selling rubber assault gas mask bags, he had a large box of probably 50+ of them. $5 a piece. I was a kid, and strapped for cash so I could only afford one (wish I had bought more....) There were 2 different types in the lot, ones with 3 lift-the-dot's, and others with 4 snaps. I remember debating which type to get, and going for the 3 snap, as I associated lift-the-dots with WW2 gear and the little rounds snaps with more modern items. I've since learned the 4-snap type are correct for D-Day, my question now is, what is the story behind the 3 lift-the-dot bags? Are they a later model, post war? The bag is still in my collection, I've just never been sure of its true era.

Just curious.

anellas, As far as whether a bag was issued for D-day, you need to look at the markings on the bag, more so than the fasteners. I have heard and believe that the bags marked ARMY ASSAULT GAS MASK are considered correct for D-day, since the M5 was called an assault gas mask. I have one of these bags with four blackened snaps on it which I keep my M5 mask in. My other two bags are marked ARMY COMBAT SERVICE GAS MASK and one has 3 lift the dots and the other has 4 nickled snaps. These two bags would be considered post D-Day, but someone else needs to answer whether they are post WWII or not. You will get the real scoop from someone on this forum as you have many world recognized collectors participating here.

Bob

Quick question, I couldn't find anything with a search.

Nearly 20 years ago, when I first started collecting, at a flea market there was a vendor selling rubber assault gas mask bags, he had a large box of probably 50+ of them. $5 a piece. I was a kid, and strapped for cash so I could only afford one (wish I had bought more....) There were 2 different types in the lot, ones with 3 lift-the-dot's, and others with 4 snaps. I remember debating which type to get, and going for the 3 snap, as I associated lift-the-dots with WW2 gear and the little rounds snaps with more modern items. I've since learned the 4-snap type are correct for D-Day, my question now is, what is the story behind the 3 lift-the-dot bags? Are they a later model, post war? The bag is still in my collection, I've just never been sure of its true era.

Just curious.

I was just looking at a couple of my assault gas mask bags today and wondering the same thing about the lift dot thing. I have a non rubber one that is stamped M5 ??? Both bags have three lift-the dot closers.

Anybody know when these were used ?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.