WWII Hellcat Instrument Panel Question?

JGC

I have an opportunity to pick up a WWII Hellcat instrument panel. There are 2 sections a top and a bottom, with all the gauges present. My question is what kind of value would something like this have? I'm going to be looking at this tomorrow for the first time, and I need to know what fair price would be. Thanks Jon

Cobrahistorian

Tough to say. If the Bureau Number (BuNo) is still present and you can trace it to an individual Hellcat, it could be worth a great deal more than an unidentified F6F. I had the opportunity to purchase a near-complete F-105D control panel for $5000. Seemed pretty reasonable to me when compared with others I'd seen.

If it has everything and is identifiable, I'd say somewhere in the $3000-5000 range. That's just an educated swag.

There's a good shot of a Hellcat cockpit here:

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/usa/aircraft/f...lcat-photos.asp

Jon

I have an opportunity to pick up a WWII Hellcat instrument panel. There are 2 sections a top and a bottom, with all the gauges present. My question is what kind of value would something like this have? I'm going to be looking at this tomorrow for the first time, and I need to know what fair price would be. Thanks Jon

A fair price is whatever you and the buyer agree on, but rather unique items like this really have no clear market value, so I don't think you could say it's worth $3,000 or $10,000 - someone buying this to use in a restoration project is probably going to pay a lot more than someone buying it as a standalone collectible - but if you can reach agreement this should be a great thing to have. I love the old war bird flight manuals with their detailed images of the instrument panels and controls and actually some relics from something like an f4F is very cool.

Before giving alot of money, be sure that it is from a Hellcat and also make sure that the instruments are correct both for the aircraft type and the era. I've seen a few built up from parts and although they display well they aren't worth as much as the original. Original and with all instruments from the correct era, 3000.00 to 5000.00 is ballpark depending on condition.

Tom Bowers

I had an opportunity to get a look at the panel, here are a few photos. I was hoping I might get some opinions if this looks right. Sorry for the bad photos. Thanks Jon

MVC-856S-2.jpg

MVC-857S-1.jpg

MVC-858S-1.jpg

MVC-859S-2.jpg

Looks correct for an F6F-3 fighter. The instruments look correct, and the clock alone is worth several Benjamin Franklins. I wasn't able to come up with any hits on the Bu number, but I'd jump through some hoops to score this panel.

Tom Bowers

Thank you all for your input on this panel. I've got a good chance of picking it and this aircraft flight log up.

MVC-860S-3.jpg

Having seen the panel does anyone want to venture a guess on the value. I've heard a range of 3000 to 5000, is closer to 3000 or 5000? Thanks again, Jon

If that Aircraft log has combat time recorded in it, I bet that it worth $1000 on its own. I had one for a Wildcat that had combat time recorded in it.

Kurt

Tom, Jon, and Kurt, thanks for the information. I'm going to be working very hard to acquire these items for the collection. Kurt, I don't know if you remember me contacting you regarding the Cmdr Reuben H. Denoff (ace) flight jacket, but what makes this aircraft log book special to me is that Denoff is listed about 20 times as one of the many pilots that flew this plane. The log entries start in 43 and end in Feb. of 44, Denoff flew with VF9 and was later CO of VBF-12. Thanks Jon

• 1 month later...

Well, I've got good news, I was finally able to acquire the F6F-3 Hellcat instrument panel. Its a terrible day outside, so I thought I'd work on a small display I'd be using in the future. I hope you enjoy it, its related to navy pilots and the Hellcat. I've posted the jackets in the past, one belonged to Navy ace LCDR Reben Denoff, VF-9, and the M-421b summer flight jacket belonged to Cdr Charles L. Crommelin, Navy Cross winner, and commander of both Carrier Air Group's 5 and 12. The medal grouping was found in a antique shop in central Illinois, one set of wings was engraved too Lt W.F. Cyrus, all I know about this flier is that he flew in both WWII and Korea. I've been working to acquire this panel for sometime now, its complete and original. The BUAERO. NO. is 42813, any help to locate the history of this plane would be greatly appreciated, so far I haven't been able to find anything. Thanks Jon

MVC-902S-3.jpg

MVC-904S-3.jpg

MVC-906S-4.jpg

MVC-907S-4.jpg

MVC-908S-4.jpg

MVC-909S-3.jpg

pararaftanr2

Hi Jon,

That's a great piece of history you have. The National Air and Space Museum Archives Division has a free service that might be of some help. With your Buaero. No., you can request information, in this case an "aircraft history card", using a short on-line form at this address: http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/arch/emailform.cfm. They will photocopy and mail you the records in 2-3 weeks, sometimes less if they aren't too busy. Good luck! Regards, Paul

Hard to read the three digit BuAero number on the log, but if it matches the panel... WOW. Just finding a panel like that is one thing, but WITH the matching log? One heck of a score!

Wayne

Hard to read the three digit BuAero number on the log, but if it matches the panel... WOW. Just finding a panel like that is one thing, but WITH the matching log? One heck of a score!

Wayne

No such luck Wayne, that would have been to good to be true. Jon

bronxboymike

Jon, As a collector of naval aviation myself, all I can say is wow. You are a lucky man. Congrats on the find, I'd be happy enough to just find a grumman WW2 era rudder pedal.

Mike

• 1 year later...

Very nice! Why does the air speed indicator have a red face? I'm fairly new to the Warbird community and would like to know.

Thanks for posting!

~J~

If it is any help, re your W F Cyrus wings, my list of naval aviators has a single entry for one William Frederick Cyrus, LTJG, in VF-35 off USS Chenango in June 1944.

Rich

If it is any help, re your W F Cyrus wings, my list of naval aviators has a single entry for one William Frederick Cyrus, LTJG, in VF-35 off USS Chenango in June 1944.

Rich

Hi Rich, thanks for the info, its got to be my guy. Jon

A lot of WWII instruments were excited by ultraviolet light. It really looks neat when you shine a black light on the panel and the dials glow.

• 5 years later...